Cradle-to-grave career seekers haven

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Emerson

Pros

Low risk environment; also translates into low innovation quotient.

Cons

You get promoted (and get anything beyond inflation adjustment) mostly by being there long enough. Outside and new blood only comes in when an acquisition occurs.

Advice to Management

As the world gets flatter, Emerson will be better off with more performance based compensation. The current stats (especially at divisions) will show you an almost 1-1 correlation of compensation to seniority. I also belive that for long Emerson traded stability for compensation - the mid-management is begining to fill up with mediocrity. This has served the operational philosophy well for decades but may prove costly over the next few.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Very Numbers Driven

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Emerson

Pros

Large Company with large company benefits / stability (presuming you are not downsized)

Cons

Political for Promotions in the sense that if management does not know you, and your organization is up for downsizing, you are out of luck.

Advice to Management

This is entirely a cultural issue, so that's simply the culture

I think it is terrible how they look to get rid of people, I know the guy who had my job before got let go for no reason

Current Employee - Maintenance Planner in Racine, WI
    Current Employee - Maintenance Planner in Racine, WI

I have been working at Emerson

Pros

I feel they have a good training program. They make sure you are worth what they pay you. Which all around helps everyone.

Cons

If management doesn't like you, no matter why, you are gone. The guy who had my job last got let go for no reason at all. showed up to work one day and found out that was it, another guy has been her 20yrs and got demoted to assy. small parts now. They will do what they have to to get rid of you. My boss is a good guy, and the guy I replaced told me that as well. But if you want to work here you better fit into the click.

Advice to Management

You need to listen to the employees some times. Sometimes they don't work to par, they go from great to bad, sometimes there are things going on in their lives as well. Some go to war and come home and have to lean to deal with life again, just as an example.