There are newer employer reviews for Emler Swim School

Fun, supportive environment with the most adorable customers ever.

Former Employee - Swim Instructor in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Swim Instructor in Austin, TX

I worked at Emler Swim School part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is SO nice. Everyone that works there is amazingly supportive. I haven't had that many jobs as of yet but it's seriously the best one I've ever had. I love swimming and I love kids already, though.

Cons

It's pretty hard work... I mean, you are seriously moving around and shouting for hours at a time, while soaking wet. But the kids are so much fun. Also if you don't already like kids this probably isn't the job for you, because if you aren't really nice to them, they can tell and act up way worse.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

A positive, fun work environment

Current Employee - Swim Instructor
    Current Employee - Swim Instructor

I have been working at Emler Swim School

Pros

The management are very nice. They're always telling you how you can improve while pointing out what your strengths are. They're very helpful in helping you find a sub when you need to go on vacation.

Cons

Employees can sometimes not be team players. It's very difficult to find someone to sub for you for the amount of employees that work there. It can be frustrating.

2. Swim Instructor

I worked at Emler Swim School part-time

Pros

Great Pay compared to similar jobs in the area. I love the opportunities for promotions and pay raises. If you buy in to their swimming training and the process, then you will be rewarded. Taught me personally to be more vocal and how to speak with people whom I would not otherwise converse with. What I mean by this is that they have a very culturally diverse clientele and it was a great experience to meet and speak with people from different cultural backgrounds. You make some great relationships with the families of your students.

This swim school is the most professional swim school around that is not a club swimming school. If you want your infant-teenager to learn to swim, bring them here.

Cons

At times you'll need to deviate from the swim script in order to help a child either get comfortable or learn a certain skill. Unfortunately management doesn't want anyone to deviate from the script without approval. The problem is that the manager might either be working in the observation or in the water with a child. This leaves teachers at times to improvise in order to keep the class moving or keep a child from crying. What ends up happening in my experience is that management will get on to you for deviating slightly from the script even though the parent are happy and your students are learning the skills/strokes.

The air circulation is suppose to be the best available but what I've found and what my doctor has said is that because we are working indoors close to the water level for long hours, teachers are exposed to not only chlorinated air but also an environment that makes you more susceptible to pneumonia. All in all it's not bad if you stay healthy

Advice to Management

Put in a better air flow system. Let your better teachers have their room to deviate from the swim script as long as their kids are meeting/exceeding each 4 week evaluation. Natural coaches are going to be able to coach. It's you teachers who are not natural coaches who need to stay with the script. All in all I loved working here and thank Emler for so much of the personal skills I have taken from being there.