It's OK

Current Employee - Continuity Director in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Continuity Director in Austin, TX

I have been working at Emmis Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The foundation of the company is, I believe, good. The culture Emmis tries to cultivate is one of being upright, open, rational & fun. There's also a bit freedom that comes with working here. I'm left alone to do my job with limited interference. We hear fairly regularly about how Emmis believes in being good to their people. They give raises & bonuses when they can. The standard full time benefits are better than some. Emmis talks about hiring the best people because that's how you get the best results. It's a good place to be creative.

Cons

Neighborhood we live in is less a than desireable area & the building is too small (7 stations in a building originally built for only 2). Pay is downright insulting after so many years of (really good) service to this company. Office politics can be a pain to deal with here, often leaving me feeling defeated and exhausted at the end of the day.

Advice to Management

Local Management: I'm not a minion here to do your job for you. I am here to keep every commercial on all of our 7 stations (14 if you count the streaming stations) organized and correct on the air. My position is highly specialized & I have 10+ years of experience. It's also almost 60 people that are utilizing the services of the 1.5 people in my department - more often than not with impatience & limited focus on important details. The hardest part of this job is dealing with co-workers that have no respect for my knowledge of the production process & how to keep the most money in their paychecks - instead choosing to question my methods & throwing fits when errors I told them would happen come to fruition. I'm good at what I do, I keep A LOT of money on the books and I ask that the managers trust & respect my abililty to do my job right in order for your employees to follow suit.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Interesting place to work

Former Employee - Human Resources in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Emmis Communications part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back office environment, decent pay.

Cons

Hard to climb the ladder. Top-heavy, inadequate management.

2. good

Current Employee - Advertising Director in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Advertising Director in Austin, TX

I have been working at Emmis Communications

Pros

great culture. fun environment. good people

Cons

struggling industry with lots of competition

Advice to Management

sell off underperforming assets