Valued and Empowered

Current Employee - Senior Sales  in  Houston, TX
Current Employee - Senior Sales in Houston, TX

I have been working at Empyrean Benefit Solutions full-time for less than a year

Pros

The environment is one in which employees input is respected. Autonomy is the norm and there is total access to the executive team which works collaboratively toward a successful, winning environment. As a newcomber, I feel fortunate that inclusion and consistent confidence building is a priority for our management team, mine in particular.

Cons

If you can handle the challenging pace, you will enjoy your career here.

Maintain the events which foster employee input and boost morale such as the Town Meetings, charity oriented events, holiday meals, tournaments and other appreciation events.

Apr 14, 2014Manager, Corporate Functions

Thank you for adding your opinions and experiences to our Glassdoor site. Empyrean is a dynamic, high-energy company where every employee is empowered to make a difference.

Other Reviews for Empyrean Benefit Solutions

Exciting Company and Industry with great people

I have been working at Empyrean Benefit Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I joined Empyrean after working for larger organizations in a similar capacity. What drew me to Empyrean was its status as a newer player in the marketplace, but with a commitment to technology and evolving with the changing needs of clients. Empyrean has offered me the chance to be a part of this evolution, fostering an environment where any employee can speak up and be a catalyst for change and improvement. Larger organizations can get bogged down by structure and red tape, but Empyrean encourages outside the box thinking and process improvement. Does Empyrean expect you to work hard? Yes. Can the hours be long, especially during Open Enrollment? Yes. However, that is the same industry-wide and I have found that hard work is rewarded here. Enjoying the people you work with goes a long way during those peak times, and the people who work here are really extraordinary. Management is accessible and actually listens to feedback. Each manager I have had has helped guide my career path. There are bumps along the road, no doubt, but I am excited to be a part of this company and where it is headed.

Cons

Peak times can mean long hours (but same across the industry)

Continue to foster an environment where all associates can speak up, collaborate and contribute. The culture at Empyrean is one of its best qualities, so I hope management continues with the vision they've had to date as Empyrean grows.

Apr 14, 2014Manager, Corporate Functions

Thank you for taking the time to share your perspectives and experiences as a member of the Empyrean team.

The department you choose to work for will determine your opinion of this company....

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Houston, TX

I worked at Empyrean Benefit Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Casual dress code (jeans, button/collar shirts, sometime shorts)
    Pay is decent for this line of work
    Teams are great to get along with

Cons

I was employed in the call center part of the company (please search other departments first for employment).

The biggest problem had to have been the under-staffing. The company is doing a great job growing as it promises clients teams that handle 2-3 clients, but the teams handle more around 10-20. The promises made compose of quick turn around time (24-48 hours), call center assistance for HR reps, accurate processing of incoming/outgoing files (carrier, IDF). The problem is these were starting to become unrealistic as time went by. The clients grew, but the company staffing shrunk. More clients were obtained (through cheap pricing of unrealistic expectations) and more employees were terminated.

So what does this mean? You are tied to the phone for extended amounts of time. Breaks and lunch schedules are determined by the current level of our service level agreements. These are the unrealistic promises made that say we answer phones in lest than 1 minute or calls last less than 5 minutes. You can imagine how under-staffing causes these to always be below the promised amount and the whole advertised promise of breaks and hour lunches are out the window.

Errors in processing or incoming/outgoing files have employees calling with insults/threats so often. This is what makes it a horrible day at work. You can only stand so many calls of people insulting/refusing to get off the phone/threatening to get you fired. It really is a part of the company that is taken for granted because if any upper management ever really thought it was "no big deal" to go through this all day they would be doing it as well. This happens much more often than you think which in turn makes it difficult to reach service level agreements and keeps the pain wheel turning.

The data/information about benefits/processes/contacts are scattered everywhere. You come to the company and find that they use a very nice UI for their benefits portal. It is also used for a lot of the clients as well. The problem comes when different data is available in different places for each client. You can't depend that you will find this information in the same place for all because the client has to pay for certain details/info to appear in a part of the website. Again, this creates more call volume (even HR representatives get angry at this somehow) meaning more screaming more yelling and service level agreements are not being met. Pain wheel....keeps rolling.

Training does not exist to help you in these areas. You get a quick explanation of basic (VERY BASIC like "this is how you type your name in this program") processes. Details on when we receive certain information for a client/new hire processes/location of the info they will not place on the website/processing of unique benefits. These are created into cases and when resolved we receive the feedback of "you should do more research before sending this to us". Again training is unjustly quick and not thorough whatsoever. Yet, this counts against US. Not sure how or why, but then again neither is management so they just do as they are told.

Be very careful with your sick/calling in activity. This DOES count against you. They feel justified in terminating you if they find a "pattern", but most of the time there isn't one and it comes down to favoritism when Person A is fired for calling in too much and Person B called in just as much, but has a better relationship with management.

Everyone is starting to quit that place. More and more new people are there, but that is because the former employees left without notice and they are rushing to fill these spots. Some of these people were actually promoted to work alongside the admin teams with no relief in place. So be ready to work along someone who only has about 2-3 months of experience and expect problems.

If you are looking for a job here and have a bachelors degree apply for an admin position first and foremost. Most people report positive experiences there and environment is much more relaxed there (they don't take calls). If not, try shared services department, some secretary position, some of the labor positions, etc. I have found that almost all other departments report better experiences than the call center part.

This probably will not be read or even acted on, but oh well.

Pay attention to the trends in the call center. You have a high turn over rate (so many people have left without 2 weeks notice because of pure spite. Literally people or 2+ years did not return after they were fed up) because you wont hire enough people to help with the work and will not train them properly.

Please hire quality people. Do not hire anyone that responds to a yes or no questions with "yeah, uh huh, yup, naw".

Push the admin team to take more control over the problems that occur. Cases sit a long time in their possession because they will not check their cases (somehow they know how to use SQL, but not Salesforce.....ok). No one wants to babysit a co-worker.

On another review you responded with, "client satisfactions is top priority", but then again you under-staff the call center. You do not train the call center well enough. You pass most of the responsibilities the admin team USED to have to the call center part (which we normally don't have enough time to do). You do not provide the caliber of tools necessary to fulfill these promises that are made to the client. I believe you're focused too much on making money off the client with over promising SLAs. This is not looking out for "client satisfaction" when you can clearly mark the problems of the company and take no effort to fix them.

The call center has been very poorly managed over time. More efforts appear to exist in improving the admin side, but sadly the call center has become such a hell hole.

I for one, cannot see this company improving in time. Clients have not renewed their contracts and SO MANY of the experienced employees have been terminated or quit. More than likely the company will make cuts to the call center department before the admin department due to lack of income as these problems continue. You have referred to the call center as the "front-line" of the company (any company that does this is telling you that you will have a horrible time btw). What I think you do no understand is the "front-line" requires the most assistance. Yes, they are expect to receive the worst treatment and face the problems head on before anyone else, but do a poor job of maintaining this line and you will shortly find yourself with no defense against the wave of problems that other departments create. Again, you probably will not address this as it should be addressed, but I am sure years down you will see what I mean.

Apr 14, 2014Manager, Corporate Functions

Empyrean is growing rapidly, both in client base and number of employees. To support our growth and continue our “client centric” service, the leadership team has invested and is committed to ... More

There are newer employer reviews for Empyrean Benefit Solutions.

Worked for Empyrean Benefit Solutions? Contribute to the Community!