Empyrean Benefit Solutions

There are newer employer reviews for Empyrean Benefit Solutions

Business Analyst

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Business Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Empyrean Benefit Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good start-up company, can apply without any IT back ground and can still be successful at this role. Just have to be an analytical thinker.
4 weeks of PTO with 2 floating holidays and 8 national holidays.
very causal dress ( you can even come in shorts except for the days when client is visiting)
Small company so you learn a lot
Good learning in benefit industry

Cons

Really hard to move
Pay is very low compare to other industries
Pay growth is slow. Though you get raises twice a year, but if you do the math, you lose 6 months of increase just because you were reviewed twice a year.

No use, it would only be heard if you have good terms with you manager.

Empyrean Benefit Solutions Response

Sep 16, 2014Manager, Corporate Functions

Thank you for your thoughts. The paid PTO at Empyrean is the best in our industry. Our compensation practices are very competitive and include six month reviews for those that are rapidly growing ... More

52 Other Employee Reviews for Empyrean Benefit Solutions (View Most Recent)

POOR WORK PLACE

Current Employee - Tier II in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Tier II in Houston, TX

I have been working at Empyrean Benefit Solutions full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They are a smaller company. Everybody knows everybody so you see the HR and all managers walking around so they are right around the corner incase you need assistance. All benefits are in housed.

Cons

They are a private company so everything is very unorthodox. They do not follow very important department of labor guidelines and violate employees rights all the time. They cancel breaks and sometimes give the CSR reps 30 minute lunches. They tell you that you are expected to work "overtime" and that it's mandatory when the reps are not meeting service levels. They understaff and tell all clients that each pod only takes 4 client calls. We have a pod that has 30 clients with 8 CSA's on the team.
    They don't give their CSA's raiser over 60 cents.
    Tier II's raises are 60 cents or less and they do client work, client meetings, facilitate trainings, monthly quality and work on cases on a daily basis.
    The trainings for new hires are always cut short because we start queuing.
    The BA's that they hire are straight out of college so files are always being messed up and we always never reach COBRA compliance.
    They find a way to write CSA's up so that their bonuses are not paid out to them. They expect you to be chained to your chair and lie to clients whenever they come and visit. We are told to hide other client's information.

SSN's and personal information are left everywhere and is easy for people to get access to.

Please fix this company.
    It is very unorganized. People like CSR's can not have lives outside of work because we hardly can get days off due to service levels.
    There is a high turn around because you do not make people feel appreciated.
    Do better on your raises.
    Improve your trainings

Not what it used to be

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Houston, TX

I worked at Empyrean Benefit Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You build up plenty of PTO pretty quickly
    You work with great co-workers (this does not apply to management and I will explain)
    Hour lunches with breaks when allowed
    Snack station at break room
    You get to learn so much when you are here.

Cons

The PTO is almost impossible to use. They block out so many days that I can’t imagine how you get to use up all your time. The team that manages PTO is pretty much clueless on what to do here and does not work to fix it.
    Management is useless when it comes to anything client related. Sure they know one or two, but we manage easily 15+ on each team. They do not make it their priority to know how to take care of all responsibilities with clients and consider you to be their SME’s (Subject Matter Experts). I would love to tell our clients why our manager does not know the client’s everyday workings and see how they react.
    The stress is killer. No type of relief from the amount of responsibilities given. Management again gives all the work out given to them and they take the credit when the work is done. You are given insane deadlines and expectations without any consideration on how overworked you are.
    The expectations are unrealistic because the promises made to clients are unrealistic. They promise quick turnaround times, timely callbacks and follow-ups. What they do not mention is the amount of problems the company’s systems provide and increase the workload 10x. If you don’t get to make your 10 thousandth callback that day it is YOUR fault and YOU are held responsible. Again, management is blind to this fact and does not take responsibility.
    Breaks and lunches are almost never the hour and 15 minutes breaks promised when first hired. We are overworked so lunch breaks are 30 minutes and regular breaks are cancelled. The same group in charge of PTO is in charge of the schedules and they, again, are clueless and manage improperly.
     Before I left, they set up this “training” position for someone who used to be HR. Instead of actually being in charge of creating the training they handed off this work to managers to give to their employees and have it done by some unrealistic deadline. This means the training will STILL be useless as it was before because it was not given the proper time to be created. Yes this is what a person in management did and creates NO type of value to the company. Way to go!
    The supervisor of the call-center is not what it used to be. She used to be involved a lot more with other management, but now barely troubleshoots and fixes any of the problems. I wish they would snap out of it because slowly this place is getting worse to work at.
    The new call system they installed modifies how the bonuses are calculated. Surprise! It reduces your chances of getting a higher bonus.

I have watched these reviews at Glassdoor to see if ANY were acted on by management or HR in the past years. Sadly NONE were addressed. These were mentioned at town hall meetings. Submitted anonymously to HR. Not one improvement. The only thing out of these reviews was management “enthusing” employees to write positive reviews here to increase their rating.
    Management should be ashamed for letting all these problems come into play. They should have seen that their employees are overworked, stressed, underpaid and unappreciated.
    This is why turnover has been so high. HR had responded previously that the turnover rate was low for its industry. This is an absolute lie as you will find when you walk in and see almost no one has a year of experience in this place. The biggest sign of a bad workplace is the amount of new employees. And this place has new employees about every 6 months.
    HR – you should be ashamed for supporting such a bad system like the one in place now. If you knew anything about managing your workforce you would be more involved in finding the problems and fixing them. Since my time there, you never had anything to say to the employees or ask them. I hope this company crumbles and your profession is stained with your lack of action.

Empyrean Benefit Solutions Response

Sep 16, 2014Manager, Corporate Functions

We regret that your experience at Empyrean did not fulfill your career ambitions. The opinions you express are not the facts or the typical experience of our staff. We wish you well in your future ... More

There are newer employer reviews for Empyrean Benefit Solutions