There are newer employer reviews for Encore Capital Group

Fun While It Lasted

Former Employee - Recruiter  in  San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Recruiter in San Diego, CA

I worked at Encore Capital Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

As a recruiter, I worked with some fantastic hiring managers, as well as intelligent, hard-working colleagues. The company prides itself on work-life balance and holds true to this for the most part. Lots of opportunities for gaining experience in new areas, such as helping to launch their CSR initiative, which was rewarding for me. Major focus on consumer interaction, which given their debt purchasing/collections business model, was refreshing and great to see. 50% 401(k) match is pretty good.

Cons

Truly dysfunctional HR management and process. Lots of ad hoc requests and administrative time-suck. Had a great manager that quit the company after lengthy disagreement with the director. The consultants they brought in to replace her were defunct. I found myself taking on lots of responsibilities that should not have belonged to me. A promotional opportunity promised to me ultimately proved nonexistent. Benefits were okay with the exception of 401(k) match. Could offer more perks to employees that would help to retain great people. The culture is highly analytical, which could be great for some, and bland/boring for others.

Focus more attention on sub-executive management employees, offering better perks to keep people more satisfied and not just plugging away like automatons. There is enormous focus on the bottom line at all times, which is often lost in translation for non-management employees.

49 Other Employee Reviews for Encore Capital Group (View Most Recent)

Company with a lot of growing to do

Current Employee - Administrative Professional  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Professional in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Encore Capital Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is evident that leadership is working on shifting the culture by bringing in quality people but they should work on keeping these quality people. Managers are very supportive of Work Life balance which I like. The company is going through major growth right now and with expansion will come future opportunities in other areas. With the recent CEO being in place, I am positive things will happen as he has a strong demeanor and get it done attitude. But this change will take time.

Cons

The downside of the company going through major growth is that they internally are sluggishly trying to keep up with the capacity of their growth with limited internal resources. System implementations have been patchy and dysfunctional. Documented processes and controls are not very existent but the company is working on this. It is a bit sluggish of a process. The compensation and benefits are not competitive at all (with the exception of the 401K) and it appears they are using outdated salary ranges. Training and Development are really sad. There is not a clear career trajectory for much of any position at this company. However, I see they have been working on this within the key technical populations. The other functions not so much. Not sure how the careers of some folks will look because it seems they are starting to outsource a lot more and will all this international M&A activity, they definitely will be shifting some talent into cheaper markets.

Also for those that just enter the company, it is not family friendly at all. This is demotivating when you can even't bring your spouse to a holiday party or your family to a company picnic. Everything is employee only and honestly takes the excitement out of a lot of stuff. It's quite short lived.

Continue to work on the training and development of your employee base by providing more cross functional opportunities. Unless you are in an upper level position, it can be quite easy to get bored with your job. Revamping the compensation sooner than later is necessary or you will continue to lose talent for more competitive opportunities. Too many hands in the pot sometimes and other times a one man show for decision making. Come up with more detail processes to create uniformity and structure around activities. Too many things "left to interpretation" still. More family friendly events. Families are an important part of employee's lives and every now and then outside of work stress it's nice to share a moment with them and give you a reason to brag about how great a company you work for is.

good company

I have been working at Encore Capital Group full-time

Pros

we have very good infrastucutre

Cons

need to concentrate on employee centricity

work on pepople now

There are newer employer reviews for Encore Capital Group

Worked for Encore Capital Group? Contribute to the Community!