There are newer employer reviews for EnerNOC

What EnerNOC does to you - it makes you feel bad

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at EnerNOC

Pros

At one point in time (up until roughly halfway into 2009), EnerNOC was a great place to work. It was fun and exciting and the people were nice and encouraging. But then something happened. Leadership started to change, and the entire company changed with it. EnerNOC is nothing like it used to be and it's really sad. I am writing today to warn people: do not torture yourself by working here!

Cons

Everyone who has written a review of or commented on EnerNOC in this forum has covered pretty much all of the cons, except for one very important attribute. I am not going to rehash what other people have said, I will only point out what is missing.

EnerNOC treats people badly. As an employee, you will not be valued or respected. You may rebut, "That's a common complaint in many corporations and that's life." What is different about EnerNOC, however, is that you may come to think poorly of yourself or question your self-worth and capabilities as a professional. I know many, many people (myself included) who continue to have bad dreams about EnerNOC after they have left the company. Or they have depressing flashbacks. It took me at least a month before I stopped having bad, stressful dreams about EnerNOC. It's a rotten place to work and no one should take a job there. Find another way to pay your mortgage and feed your kids--you'll be glad you did!

All senior leadership must be shown the door. An entirely new cast of C-levels and VPs is necessary to make this company work now and in the future. The Board of Directors has the responsibility to make these changes to help the company survive.

106 Other Employee Reviews for EnerNOC (View Most Recent)

A deteriorating experience

Current Employee - Director of Field Operations  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Director of Field Operations in Boston, MA

I have been working at EnerNOC

Pros

About 4 years ago when I joined there were several good reasons including being on the forefront of clean energy and the company's roadmap to provide a spectrum of solutions to the marketplace.

Cons

The decisions of management have caused a downward spiral. The decision to, in essence, sue our largest customer has backfired. That's what prompted me to write this review. When I review the deep energy industry background and track record of executive leadership at other companies in the clean energy arena, I realize how shallow and inexperienced ours is. Morale is low at every level and in every job function.

The majority of employees have lost confidence in your ability to make good decisions and to lead. Executive leadership owes it to all stakeholders -- employees, shareholders, partners, and customers -- to come up with an orderly succession plan for the majority of executives to resign, especially the ones leading marketing, sales, products, and legal.

Started as a great environment, exciting growth, and good money. Now? Not so much.

Current Employee - Business Development Manager  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at EnerNOC

Pros

Good benefits, exceptionally friendly HR staff, exceptional talent everywhere you look, truly talented people. They do a tremendous job of attracting talent. Chance to pitch a true value add and visit some interesting companies in almost every vertical.

Cons

The one thing that a salesperson is concerned with - commission - is ridiculously convoluted and constantly changing. You may be able to track what you'll make, if you're lucky, and then expect it to be about 60% of that number. Pay estimates given during the hiring process are irrelevant. I'll stop short of saying the hiring managers are lying because I think they believe what they're saying. Upper management, on the other hand, MUST know that they're deceptive. (Scary if they don't. Actually, scary either way) Used to be a good place to work an exciting vertical while making good money. Now it's sales in an exciting vertical with a teacher's salary.

If you're IT, Ops, Engineering, marketing, etc, give it a shot. There are amazing people and seem to be on the cutting edge. If you're an experienced salesperson, run, run, run, run away and don't look back.

Your sales arm is demoralized due to lack of management direction and a critically flawed commission plan. Make the changes fast or the senior talent you haven't lost already will be running for the door.

There are newer employer reviews for EnerNOC

Worked for EnerNOC? Contribute to the Community!