Rewarding experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at EnerNOC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart, well-educated, confident people - fun to have nothing but Type A personalities in a room!
Clear mission
Fun and innovative culture that values opinions at all levels
Interesting, meaningful industry
Great location & workplace
Exciting

Cons

Low salaries
Fair amount of churn overall
Low budget for projects
Not-so-great work-life balance
Inexperienced management

I thrived at EnerNOC, personally and professionally. I looked forward to getting to work each day, and seemed to have earned the respect of folks across the organization. But after a few years with no promotion, no meaningful raise, and no opportunity for even a lateral move, I felt I had no option to grow my career and compensation other than to move on. A shame!

Other Reviews for EnerNOC

Inexperienced leadership resulting in bad decisions.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at EnerNOC

Pros

Working with clean energy.
    My co-workers are very nice people.
    Demand Response is a good clean option.
    Working downtown Boston is cool.
    Some areas of the company are better managed than others, like engineering and operations.

Cons

Senior management is inexperienced. Lots of poor judgements, especially in business acquisitions and in personnel hiring and firing. Senior management displays much swagger and ego, but it is not deserving. And even if it was, they should not be this way.
    There seems to be confusion in Product strategy, lots of false starts, chasing after short money, not paying attention to the core competencies or a long-term vision.
    Poor benefits, no 401-k match, no tuition reimbursement, no care for the development of the employee. I was shocked a few months back when the company offered us stock shares in lieu of a portion of our salary; wow, this is not looking out for the welfare of their employees.
    Areas of the company which are dysfunctional are Marketing, Sales and Product Management.

Check your ego & swagger at the door.
    Care for your employees.
    Hire people with the right experience for the job especially at the senior level leadership positions.
    Focus on your core competencies and have a stronger long-term vision.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at EnerNOC

Pros

Very talented and dedicated people who really believe in the value of the work that they perform. Employees respect and support each other. There is a culture of genuine caring.

Cons

There are some long hours at times (as there are in any company that is growing).

Stay the course--

There are newer employer reviews for EnerNOC.

Worked for EnerNOC? Contribute to the Community!