There are newer employer reviews for EnerNOC

Pressure stifles innovation and creativity

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Boston, MA
Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Boston, MA

I worked at EnerNOC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's nice to work with so many smart and energetic people. The Boston office is accessible by public transportation. The open sharing of company information that I saw was unparalleled by any of my other work experiences. There are few or no silos within the company, which is great and something that kills other companies.

Cons

Working at EnerNOC is like working in a pressure cooker, especially in marketing and sales. Now that I have left the company, I can see how so much pressure stifles employees' abilities to think creatively and innovate their craft. The pressure is top-down and permeates every aspect of the work environment. Although I said that it is nice to work with so many smart and energetic people, the pressue to perform causes many nice people to become bad people. I'm talking about backstabbing, two-facing, condescending kind of crap.

Advice to Management

Time to clean up your act. You can't keep drinding people down into nubs. All your smart, talented people that you worked hard to recruit are leaving the company. Seems like you have 80% or more turnover in Marketing these days. The rate couldn't be much better in Sales. Additionally, the word is out in the industry about what it's like to work at EnerNOC--and I don't mean that in a good way. Several far-flung people I recently met from the utilities and clean teach industries have told me that they heard bad things about working at EnerNOC. You need to act now if you want to regain a good name for yourself in the industry.

Other Employee Reviews for EnerNOC

Rewarding experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at EnerNOC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart, well-educated, confident people - fun to have nothing but Type A personalities in a room! Clear mission Fun and innovative culture that values opinions at all levels Interesting, meaningful industry Great location & workplace Exciting

Cons

Low salaries Fair amount of churn overall Low budget for projects Not-so-great work-life balance Inexperienced management

Advice to Management

I thrived at EnerNOC, personally and professionally. I looked forward to getting to work each day, and seemed to have earned the respect of folks across the organization. But after a few years with no promotion, no meaningful raise, and no opportunity for even a lateral move, I felt I had no option to grow my career and compensation other than to move on. A shame!

Inexperienced leadership resulting in bad decisions.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

Working with clean energy. My co-workers are very nice people. Demand Response is a good clean option. Working downtown Boston is cool. Some areas of the company are better managed than others, like engineering and operations.

Cons

Senior management is inexperienced. Lots of poor judgements, especially in business acquisitions and in personnel hiring and firing. Senior management displays much swagger and ego, but it is not deserving. And even if it was, they should not be this way. There seems to be confusion in Product strategy, lots of false starts, chasing after short money, not paying attention to the core competencies or a long-term vision. Poor benefits, no 401-k match, no tuition reimbursement, no care for the development of the employee. I was shocked a few months back when the company offered us stock shares in lieu of a portion of our salary; wow, this is not looking out for the welfare of their employees. Areas of the company which are dysfunctional are Marketing, Sales and Product Management.

Advice to Management

Check your ego & swagger at the door. Care for your employees. Hire people with the right experience for the job especially at the senior level leadership positions. Focus on your core competencies and have a stronger long-term vision.