There are newer employer reviews for EnerNOC

A great experience with the potential to be even greater

I have been working at EnerNOC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A rewarding mission, a dynamic environment, and a lot of opportunity for advancement make it easy to be passionate about what you do at EnerNOC. The company's mission, "to change the way the world uses energy", resonates with me and with most EnerNOC employees. Working with others to positively impact the world excites us. The fast changing demand response and energy efficiency markets prevent stagnation and complacency at the company. New challenges, new ideas, and new employees bring a freshness to every task. I find such a dynamic environment exhilarating. EnerNOC's growth forces the company to continually reshape itself, providing for plenty of career advancement opportunities. To be sure, you have to prepare for a potential opportunity before it surfaces, but with the right attitude and approach, you can quickly create or move into a position that matches your interests and abilities. EnerNOC has many good qualities besides the mission, dynamism, and opportunity, but I've highlighted these three because they inspire my passion. They fuel the energy that I plow back into the organization and they are the source of my optimism for the company's future.

Cons

EnerNOC's chief weakness is internal communication. Employees often lack context for what they do, leading to three derivative problems: (1) employees may spend time on work that does not meaningfully contribute to the company's objectives, (2) work that is important doesn't always get the required support from other groups in the company, and (3) employees' faith in the firm's leadership is diminished.

Advice to Management

My recommendation is simple: be more open with employees. You've made some progress in this area recently, but more dedicated effort is needed. Specifically, share as broadly as you can your decisions, the data and reasoning behind your decisions, and your processes for making decisions. Enlist the aid of communication experts, if necessary, to drive important messages into the organization, starting with simple themes, but also making available additional details and context for those who are interested. You hire for entrepreneurial characteristics in your employees...ask yourselves, what would an entrepreneur want to know about his or her business?

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. I loved working for EnerNOC, a great place to be

I worked at EnerNOC

Pros

Atmosphere was wonderful, the people are amazing to work with

Cons

Disorganized, had structure problems, needs to "grow up"

By turns inspiring and frustrating, but my team is really good

I have been working at EnerNOC

Pros

Demand response is making a big difference in energy costs for regular consumers. I like the efficiency it provides, of getting more out of the same infrastructure. I don't mind being involved with energy efficiency as well, but the part that really speaks to me is DR. The people are generally smart and are all pretty dedicated. Morale is good, but I'm in Ops, which everyone says is the best department. Ops has had some management changes over the past year, though, so it remains to be seen if we can stay as good. For me locally, I love my team, I love my surrounding teams, we're doing good work, learning a lot and having a great time.

Cons

Product Management, which everybody likes to complain about here, just got moved under a different SVP, so I think that will work out well for them. I agree with a lot of the complaints about Prod Mgmt that have been written, but it's not because of the individual product managers, they're fine, they just are hitting their stride (it's a pretty new group in its current form). I think they have a good shot of becoming what they need to be now, with new senior leadership and a few new hires. I'm concerned that salaries are too low and we will start losing people as the economy starts to bounce back. They just told us they're doing comprehensive salary reviews for this reason, so I'll be watching to see what comes of that. Also it is way, way past time to do a 401K match; I don't know what the heck they are thinking. Engineering has good leadership now, and getting better all the time, but the development team on the whole has had a ton of new hires so there are a lot of new people and it is weighing on the speed of delivery.

Advice to Management

I wish Tim Healy would pause and think about us as smart professionals, but also remind himself that not everyone is as rich as him, before speaking to employees. He is a good cheerleader at the quarterly all hands, but he usually doesn't tell us much of anything real or informative, so I have to wonder sometimes, he must just think we're stupid and can't take real info. Then when he tells personal stories it's always about playing golf or being on his boat, and I don't really need to hear about how rich he is when I'm trying to focus on the company goals. But these are personal shortcomings; overall I do give him credit for being one of the founders and making all this happen.