EnerNOC

www.enernoc.com

Hard to beat

Current Employee - Utility Solutions  in  Boston, MA
Current Employee - Utility Solutions in Boston, MA

Pros

- Sharp colleagues who consistently amaze with their intelligence, high quality deliverables, and often selfless team-oriented attitude.
- As a growing company, ENOC employees - especially those early in their career - are exposed to roles and responsibilities that many don't get to see until decades into the future. If you're willing to put in the time and effort to prove yourself, great career opportunities can follow.
- "Mission-Driven," and not just in the sense that it shows up on a corporate slide somewhere. People here are passionate about the goals of the company, and often embody the same sustainable values in their personal lives. We're out to make a significant and positive impact on the energy industry, and build a profitable company in the process.
- Managers and executives are quite open to the ideas of more junior employees; despite titles, meetings often have the atmosphere of a group of peers - people are free to challenge and debate, just make sure you're informed.
- Renewed focus on technology - leadership is now investing heavily in the engineering and product management teams, recognizing these areas as key to continued success.
- A social, friendly workplace - many ENOCers count some of their fellow colleagues among their closest friends. It's not uncommon to find groups of ENOC employees at a local bar or restaurant on the weekend.

Cons

- Depending on your role, work/life balance can be a challenge. Despite now being a publicly-traded company, the start-up work culture is still present - be prepared to roll up your sleeves and work late sometimes.
- The growth rate of the company has been so swift, it sometimes outpaces the capabilities of existing processes and systems, even office space! It can be frustrating at times, though management is working to put in place fixes as quickly as possible.

Full-steam ahead, we're better positioned than we ever have been. Stay focused on strengthening the foundation of the firm (employees, technology). Don't let success and optimism breed complacency - many companies are chasing us.

Other reviews for EnerNOC

Great Company, Super Passionate Employees, Dysfunctional at Times

Former Employee - Operations  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Operations in Boston, MA

Pros

The EnerNoc mantra of hiring "smart, relentless, and good" people is true - exceptional team
    Incredibly exciting industry and EnerNoc is the clear leader
    Challanges galore - great opportunity to learn and disrupt an old, stodgy industry (energy)
    Meritocracy - you'll read some horrible glassdoor reviews but my sense is those come from really bitter underperformers (you can almost identify them by name!). EnerNoc weeds out poor hires fast but perhaps not fast enough
    Customer/market focused - they deliver what they say they'll deliver and they really focus externally

Cons

Challenges galore - the flip side is that change happens fast and can be disruptive
    Dysfunctional product strategy - do you want to be in efficiency or not? Do you want great tech? Make a decision and stick with it!
    Super sales-oriented culture - ease up! Sales results are great and you've got great leadership but spread the attention and investment
    Politics - a lot of people kiss up but they hire a lot of upwardly mobile people so it wasn't shocking

Keep it up. I really enjoyed my time there and I was impressed with leadership despite their relative inexperience. Then again they've been doing it longer than anyone in the industry so I guess that might not apply any more.

Tune your approach and try to be more consistent. The ship is heading in the right direction and the fact that you're an alternative energy success story is testament to your leadership.

Keep investing in product and engineering. Try to spread the equity - I got stiffed too many times!

Highly dissatisfied

Pros

- I enjoyed working with my coworkers. It is a fairly young company and the 20-something crowd loved going out together.
    - The snacks were nice. I enjoyed getting fat while staying until 3-4a.

Cons

- Execs don't seem to care about the employees, only about how much money they are making.
    - Supporting departments are useless, and managers are too busy giving each other high fives to care.
    - The overall atmosphere does not harbor creativity or innovation so a lot of the processes are stagnant and terrible.
    - Work life balance is achieved if you don't care about having a life and really enjoy working.
    - High Turnover; in my two years, I have seen a lot of good people go because of the terrible atmosphere that middle and upper management puts in place.
    - Diversity: In a city that is very diverse, this place is like a very very very very white dot in a sea of gray.
    - Advancement: Good luck with that.

I don't think this section matters because they won't do anything about it anyway.

There are newer employer reviews for EnerNOC.

Worked for EnerNOC? Contribute to the Community!