Energy Future Holdings

www.energyfutureholdings.com
Unclaimed Profile
There are newer employer reviews for Energy Future Holdings

Good place to work if you are comfortable with politics.

Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Dallas, TX
Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Energy Future Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice office, great people, decent benefits, a lot of change in IT.

Cons

Promotions based more on who you know and current favorites - less on actual performance.

Advice to Management

Stop buying into the pretty pictures put in front of you by those wanting to get ahead. Be honest with yourselves about what's really going on and who's really making valuable contributions.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Management--support function

Former Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Energy Future Holdings full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are good--above average in some areas. Bonuses are very generous and many there are just nice and enjoyable people with whom to work. If you work in the right areas, you will get experience in power plant operation, energy trading, hedging, nuclear regulatory issues, mining operations and environmental regulations.

Cons

The KKR/TPG leveraged buyout hurt the company. There was an expectation natural gas prices would remain high 8 years ago, and the largely coal fired fleet would make good profits because power is priced on gas generation costs. When TXU was purchased by KKR, coal was a much cheaper fuel (the company reaped the benefits of the fuel cost difference). Without too much detail, the company appears to be heading toward bankruptcy. Financial uncertainty is the biggest Con. The second is a pervasive good ol'boy political network. This did not happen to me, but I witnessed several very good and highly skilled people get passed for promotion or let go in favor of someone's friend in the company. This can play in your favor or against you . . . Just know its a potential problem.

Advice to Management

There are three areas for improvement: 1) Employee development is lacking--senior management does not have a grasp of employee skills or how to use them. There are informal networks utilizing people's skills, but often these employees are never recognized for their contribution. 2) Internal Politics drives decisions and information flow. For a company with high debt where every dollar spent is borrowed, this is a roadblock to success. 3) Employee moral is poor--recent cuts to benefits and headcount reductions have people waiting out the economy to find alternate employment. You need to work on giving people some hope. It's a good company with a long history in Texas. People should be excited about working there.

2. Former Employee

Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Energy Future Holdings full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It is a very good place to gain experience and has many resources available to develop your technical skills. Accountants can transfer between departments and gain invaluable transferable skills.

Cons

The career ladder for Accounting types is limited. Career development still needs more work. I hired on from a major oil company where I got promoted 4 times in 8 years, I worked there for 12 years and never got a promotion. I had very good reviews, but the opportunities were not there. I left this year because the stress level was enormous and went to work for another company at higher pay and benefits.

Advice to Management

Promote from within, start by developing your employees by providing training, career ladder development, etc. My former company rewarded from within and had higher morale and was very competitive.