Engine Yard

There are newer employer reviews for Engine Yard

Opensource friendly

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Engine Yard as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Great team to work with. Engineyard allows me to work on opensource full time and it is rare I do internal tasks - kind of dream job.

Cons

Working from foreign country makes it a bit complicated, I need to account for vacations and sick days on my own. Rather low amount of communication, but as I'm doing work unrelated to the company it can be expected.

17 Other Employee Reviews for Engine Yard (View Most Recent)

Cautiously hopeful

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Engine Yard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The new CEO is actually really great. Engine Yard needed this. The choices he's made are ones that should have been made a long time ago. I think he also pays attention to what we're good it, which has always been a gripe of mine. He's learning what we're able to do well and trying to build on that. He wants to keep our big customers and figure out how to make our platform work for the people that need it most.

Company culture has rebounded a bit since the layoffs. Hiring is resuming with focus on engineering (yay).

Cons

When you deal with so many people's core businesses, security is very tight. Though it's expected, it can be cumbersome on a day to day basis.

The time needed to accomplish fixes of underlying issues is still hard to come by.

Company perks have been cut back recently, but this is to be expected.

The agile methodology that has been adopted recently can be cumbersome and overly specific at times. Allow for engineering creativity in solving challenges rather than exhausting the challenge before it gets to the engineers.

The CEO has recently outlined what he wants to accomplish. I would be ecstatic if we stick with that direction long enough to really achieve something. The worst thing we could do is find a way to shoehorn the things we were doing into the new framework so that nothing changes once again. The pattern of direction changing without day to day work changing is difficult to endure. Pay attention to ticking time-bombs and involve engineers in the decision process of what needs to happen and how to solve it. Guidelines are better than exact specs.

A rough couple of years, but things finally seem to be turning around

I have been working at Engine Yard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance, above-average compensation, highly distributed team, interesting technical challenges. Teams are finally communicating and progress is once again being made.

Cons

Traditionally, senior management at Engine Yard has been astonishingly poor, including and especially at the top position. This effectively brought all forward momentum at the company to a halt. That said, all of the current executives are relatively new to the company, and they're making coherent (albeit difficult) decisions about personnel and strategy.

You have a good plan in place, and you have the right teams to execute it. Let those teams finish what they've started, and don't change direction yet again.

There are newer employer reviews for Engine Yard