There are newer employer reviews for Engine Yard

Opensource friendly

I have been working at Engine Yard as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Great team to work with. Engineyard allows me to work on opensource full time and it is rare I do internal tasks - kind of dream job.

Cons

Working from foreign country makes it a bit complicated, I need to account for vacations and sick days on my own. Rather low amount of communication, but as I'm doing work unrelated to the company it can be expected.

14 Other Employee Reviews for Engine Yard (View Most Recent)

Constant undercurrent

I have been working at Engine Yard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Experience and connections in the community. Lots of opportunities to participate in conferences (although less of that now perhaps). Some very sharp people work here. The outstanding commitment of supporting the customers. The teamwork, especially within teams.

Cons

The undercurrent. The hipster crowd not accepting others outside their limited world. Communications and cooperation between teams is nearly non-existent - for example engineering and any team. Or marketing and most other teams. It's just weird. No attempt at cross-functional project management. Lack of respect. Constant management change. Changing management makes more changes without understanding past mistakes, or the world they are now in.

Seriously. Wake up and smell the culture. Be the example that you need to be. Attempt to improve the undercurrent. If you can improve the culture - first - then you have a better chance at making the great changes that you dream of. But without the people working as a team, it just is not going to happen.

A heavy ship that seems satisfied to bail water

Current Employee - Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Engine Yard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible work environment where people frequently work from home or come to the office as necessary.

Fellow engineers are smart, hard working, and focused on creating a product that helps customers.

Cons

Different goal every 6 months but it doesn't change what almost anyone is working on. Second systems started every year or 2. Engineering upper management changes frequently. Engineering retention is poor and morale fluctuates frequently. Software is extremely complex and little time is given towards cleanup.

Upper management is confused about what the company should achieve. Communication between company layers is limited. Paying attention to what engineering is good at and trying to work to those strengths might produce better results than delegating the next enterprise trend.

There are newer employer reviews for Engine Yard

Worked for Engine Yard? Contribute to the Community!