Hit the Ground Running and Make Money In a Good Working Enviroment

Current Employee - EPIK NET  in  Busan (South Korea)
Current Employee - EPIK NET in Busan (South Korea)

I have been working at English Program in Korea full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great cultural experience, relatively easy work, good atmosphere, comparatively nice students to work with, really good money for the working hours

Cons

some commutes can be a bit long, the down time can be very boring, and there is not as much opportunity to travel as other teaching positions in other countries in the ESL world.

Abandon all-day desk warming, it's a joke that someone has to come in and sit even when they're done with lesson planning just to get hours because other teachers at other school complain because they don't have the same time off. Each school is different and they can't complain about things that are in their contract that they have signed up for.

Other Reviews for English Program in Korea

Poor Management of Human Resources

Current Employee - Native English Teacher
    Current Employee - Native English Teacher

I have been working at English Program in Korea full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good compensation given the required qualifications
    Low cost of living
    Good location for travel + a better vacation package than hagwons.
    Yearly increases in salary for renewing.
    Housing is provided
    Can be an eye-opening cultural experience

Cons

No actual standardization in terms of quality control--your work and home situation is all up to chance.
    Many first time teachers will sign the contract blind--you are not told what grade level you teach or exactly where (besides the providence) until after signing.
    Lack of communication, in part because of a language barrier but in large part as well because your co-teacher is expected to be your sole point of contact with higher management.
    The freedom you have in creating, planning and teaching English will depend on your co-workers, principal, and vice principal's decisions about what English class should be like, not necessarily on your abilities.
    Co-teaching is, for many, an empty promise. You may be doing lessons alone while your co-teachers take smoke breaks, be reduced to a human tape player, or be given the role of the dancing monkey (entertainer rather than educator).
    Coworkers don't always share the values of senior management about the value of English education.
    If you use a textbook, you will be expected to teach from the textbook even if the language is incorrect or unnatural because that is what students will be tested on. "I have a new game CD!" "Did you enjoy a good sleep?"
    Because the EPIK program seems to be reducing the number of hires, teachers may have multiple schools-sometimes as many as five. This is not beneficial to the students as it means they will only have English conversation classes once a week for one hour.
    If you have a strict principal (or one who doesn't like you), family emergencies not covered by the contract will not equal unpaid leave. My grandfather became very ill and eventually passed away, but because the contract only notes "special leave" for the death of a parent, spouse or child, I had to miss his funeral.

Please treat your employees better-we may be contract labor but providing us with little to no communication, support and opportunities for feedback (especially on our co-teachers) is probably why the turnover rate is so high.
    Brief your regional educational offices and Korean employees about what EPIK teachers are expecting given our Orientation training and in-service training: actual co-teaching situations, freedom in making our classes engaging and practical for students, and that much-talked about Korean hospitality that will let us take care of family emergencies.

Great Pay but Thankless Work

Former Employee - Native English Teacher
    Former Employee - Native English Teacher

I worked at English Program in Korea

Pros

Great pay and benefits, especially since cost of living so low. Decent vacation time. Essentially a really excellent deal if you want to live abroad for awhile. The hours aren't long but can be made so due to discplinary issues (students, for the most part, speak zero English and you cannot control them yelling in English). If you have a great co-teacher the experience will be great.

Cons

Depending on your placement, you could have an amazing experience or an abysmal one. Be prepared to not have your ideas acknowledged or considered, run into issues scheduling vacations any time in advance, or getting heat turned on in your classroom. NETs aren't really considered "real teachers" in Korea, especially since they are foreigners. Be prepared for culture shock and to likely be unappreciated. If you have a bad co-teacher, I am oh so very sorry.

There are newer employer reviews for English Program in Korea.

Worked for English Program in Korea? Contribute to the Community!