There are newer employer reviews for English Program in Korea

Be prepared for chaos and disorganization

Former Employee - ESL Teacher in Seoul (South Korea)
Former Employee - ESL Teacher in Seoul (South Korea)

I worked at English Program in Korea full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The kids are great and teaching can be incredibly fun

Cons

Korean managers are clueless and have odd ideas about the way English should be taught. Curriculum will change randomly and at inappropriate times. Parents make anonymous complaints about teachers.

Advice to Management

Fire Korean managers and hire native English teachers to manage English departments.

Other Employee Reviews for English Program in Korea

1. Short lived after half their staff was laid off.

Former Employee - Guest English Teacher in Seoul (South Korea)
    Former Employee - Guest English Teacher in Seoul (South Korea)

I worked at English Program in Korea full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay, apt, tickets for flights, insurance

Cons

Distance from home and language barriers.

Advice to Management

Provide an easier way to get proof of employment.

Poor Management of Human Resources

Current Employee - Native English Teacher
    Current Employee - Native English Teacher

I have been working at English Program in Korea full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good compensation given the required qualifications Low cost of living Good location for travel + a better vacation package than hagwons. Yearly increases in salary for renewing. Housing is provided Can be an eye-opening cultural experience

Cons

No actual standardization in terms of quality control--your work and home situation is all up to chance. Many first time teachers will sign the contract blind--you are not told what grade level you teach or exactly where (besides the providence) until after signing. Lack of communication, in part because of a language barrier but in large part as well because your co-teacher is expected to be your sole point of contact with higher management. The freedom you have in creating, planning and teaching English will depend on your co-workers, principal, and vice principal's decisions about what English class should be like, not necessarily on your abilities. Co-teaching is, for many, an empty promise. You may be doing lessons alone while your co-teachers take smoke breaks, be reduced to a human tape player, or be given the role of the dancing monkey (entertainer rather than educator). Coworkers don't always share the values of senior management about the value of English education. If you use a textbook, you will be expected to teach from the textbook even if the language is incorrect or unnatural because that is what students will be tested on. "I have a new game CD!" "Did you enjoy a good sleep?" Because the EPIK program seems to be reducing the number of hires, teachers may have multiple schools-sometimes as many as five. This is not beneficial to the students as it means they will only have English conversation classes once a week for one hour. If you have a strict principal (or one who doesn't like you), family emergencies not covered by the contract will not equal unpaid leave. My grandfather became very ill and eventually passed away, but because the contract only notes "special leave" for the death of a parent, spouse or child, I had to miss his funeral.

Advice to Management

Please treat your employees better-we may be contract labor but providing us with little to no communication, support and opportunities for feedback (especially on our co-teachers) is probably why the turnover rate is so high. Brief your regional educational offices and Korean employees about what EPIK teachers are expecting given our Orientation training and in-service training: actual co-teaching situations, freedom in making our classes engaging and practical for students, and that much-talked about Korean hospitality that will let us take care of family emergencies.