There are newer employer reviews for Enterprise Community Partners

Decent company, great mission

Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Columbia, MD
Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Columbia, MD

I worked at Enterprise Community Partners full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Enterprise uses a seven and a half hour work day.

Occasional telecommuting is allowed (frequency varies by department).

IT leadership is generally very flexible and accommodating.

IT leadership demonstrates an interest in helping their employees advance.

IT leadership supports and mentors their direct reports.

IT leadership believes in extending power, autonomy, and accountability as far down the org chart as possible.

Benefits package is very competitive.

Great company mission.

Cons

Let me preface my criticism by saying that it comes from the perspective of an IT professional and not that of a LIHTC industry professional.

I encountered a lot of the typical "Corporate IT" trappings at Enterprise. Among the most notable was the fact that almost everything we did was a means to get some piece of data onto a report (usually in Excel), which is pretty much the antithesis of exciting software development work.

As is increasingly common in corporate America these days, Enterprise's IT department was strongly moving towards a "do more with less" philosophy. While I find this objectionable for personal reasons, my professional grievance as it pertains to Enterprise is that this mentality resulted in some areas of the portfolio being extremely understaffed.

Software development at Enterprise was devoid of process or structure (more often than not). This was improving a little around the time I left.

Enterprise often had "too many cooks in the kitchen" when it came to requirements gathering and design meetings. This caused some projects to die on the vine [often due to analysis paralysis], while others evolved kaleidoscopically. This was also improving a little around the time I left.

My team spent so much time drowning in menial support tasks that we rarely could focus on delivering anything of value.

IT leadership (and the business, to a lesser extent) put a lot of emphasis on adopting agile methodologies, but Enterprise had neither the staff nor the culture to achieve that goal.

Enterprise's IT department has a long-standing engagement with an offshore software development company. The results during my tenure were a bit of a mixed bag and often caused as many problems as they solved.

Decide what kind of organization you want to be, communicate that clearly to the department, and make that the primary focus.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great work culture, needs more communication between departments

Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Enterprise Community Partners full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good work-life balance
    Understanding upper management
    Great learning environment for this industry

Cons

Lack of communication between directors

Communicate, Be more transparent

IT Managers lied to me for two years

Former Employee - Software in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Software in Columbia, MD

I worked at Enterprise Community Partners full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The mission of the company is supposed to be noble. The food at the deli was quite nice.

Cons

As a developer, the business rules are constantly changing or not defined at all. That's a problem from the business side to IT. Within IT, it's all downhill; just don't work there.

IT Management was never honest or transparent with me.

The managers in IT constantly lied to me about my job position. Instead of simply stating that there was no need for a .NET position and a SalesForce admin was wanted instead, tell me. Instead, you went years without assigning any substantial work to me, and then you have the audacity to say I "under produce". When asked what my next assignment was, you couldn't even answer. You constantly lied to me, saying that it was my fault I didn't have any work. No, that is the job of management.

The IT managers should have "manned up" and stated that the position was no longer needed. Instead, you had to shuffle the department around until you could find a manager who would do your dirty work for you and fire me. And how pathetic is it that multiple current employees have told me that there was a congrats-fest after the firing, as if to tell the manager-you-installed-to-do-your-firing that he was to be congratulated for his "first kill", as it were.

The managers in IT are not ethical. A previous manager stood up to the higher-ups and refused to do their bidding, so the IT managers shuffled the department to find someone to do their hatchet-job. The fact that you have to lie in finding a termination reason is pathetic. None of the managers at Enterprise was honest.

In the end, I get the last laugh: when you have development skills, finding a new position is trivial. You guys can lie all you want about why you got rid of me, but I get the last laugh. I earned two years of salary and you barely assigned me anything at all. I've done as much work since leaving Enterprise as I did while I was there, only you paid me for two years while I didn't do it.

And that's the truth.