Its all good

Current Employee - Service Agent in Toms River, NJ
Current Employee - Service Agent in Toms River, NJ

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ability to drive new cars Obtain customer service experience

Cons

Low pay little hours Deal with rude customers from time to time After customers gets turned down for a rental the car prep most likely drives them back home, hearing all their complaints and frustratings.

Advice to Management

Pay the little guy more money ie: Service preps, hire more people

Other Employee Reviews for Enterprise Rent-A-Car

1. GOOD

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time

Pros

Business Setting Work Under Different Management Opportunities Bonuses

Cons

Long Hours Low Pay Favorites High Turnover Rate

Very hard work... Harder than people think.

Former Employee - Management Trainee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Management Trainee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The starting salary is not terrible but it is not as much as it should be. Benefits start day one. Everyone who works there is young so there is a lot of community among employees. You are handsomely rewarded for high performance by good managers. There are parties and happy hours regularly. There are not a million of us so you will know everyone by name, their age, where they come from, what location they work at, and will have a relationship with them. You will get an in depth knowledge of the automotive business. The training program will get you ready for ANY job. Other companies poach ERAC employees regularly. I had two job offers from other companies within two months of working for ERAC, and 15 job interviews within two weeks of leaving. You will always have something to laugh at because everyone is young. All they do is joke with each other. You will not be chained to a desk, so for high energy people like myself it is good to get up and run around. Each office may only have 4-5 people working there so it is not crowded and everyone knows where everyone else is for safety reasons.

Cons

Man... They will work you like it is the Slave Ship Enterprise. You will work 50 hours as the requirement but because there are so few of you and things need to get done, you will work 55 hours at times. In my first six months there I worked more than 1200 hours. To put that into perspective the average person will work less than 2000 in 12 months. I could easily smash a year's worth of work into few than 10 months. Crazy. A lot of times, people who are ill-equipped to be managers will get management positions. That almost always works to your disadvantage. There are so many kind, friendly people who get their butts handed to them on a daily basis. It is a sales job so if you do not perform at that, despite the fact that you have a million other things to do, you will be fired. The rental department supports the company so everything relies on them. That literally puts the weight of the world on the shoulders rental. Be prepared to go home physically exhausted and offended every day. The customer base is so used to getting fantastic service with no idea what it takes to create that environment that they will treat you like crap even though you are trying your best. You cannot do anything to jeopardize the ERAC good customer service ideology so you will just have to absorb the things they do to you. Driving to pick up customers is dangerous, and if you have an accident you can be killed. You will be washing cars and storefront windows in a suit in all weather. Your feet will be soaked, you will sweat, you will be around people who are sweaty and as a result have obvious BO, you will ride in, drive, and clean cars that are utterly repugnant, you will drive every type of rentable vehicle with no formal driver's training, and expectations of you will be utter perfection and nothing less. The company is a good start for you because other companies know what we go through but be prepared to bust your chops to get that on your resume.

Advice to Management

Don't base vertical mobility entirely on numbers. Of course it makes sense to do that, but realistically it is very harmful to the psyche and morale. There are so many good people I worked with in my time there who would make good managers and they deserve a chance. Also, while being a customer's punching bag is the reason we make so much money, it is also not something we have to do to make that money. That mentality while sounding good is terrible. It abuses the employee. The way things are done there teaches the solider to fight AT THE WAR. No training or preparation, you just go ahead, get dressed, and get on out there. If you live, you deserve to live. If you are killed, then you were too weak to be alive in the first place. That is very vicious.