great but fast paced

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great people young, fun teams

Cons

long hours, you must dress up to work there

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Its just a job, not a career.

Current Employee - Service Agent in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Service Agent in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The discounts on rentals are really good for employees. Driving the different cars is pretty cool. I have met some great people and made some friends. Part time service agents can earn days off after one year. Work schedule (hours per week) are rather consistent. There used to be free lunch every now and then.

Cons

The revolving door of employees is never ending. The entire staff, both office and service agents are different from when I started. There is no chance for promotion from the service agent position without a college degree. The office staff can be immature sometimes. This may be a product of hiring so many college graduates. Everyone in the office is your boss. Even someone who has no idea what you do, how you do it or any idea how to do their own job. Someone tells them your name and here they come with orders. Communication is terrible unless its a complaint. This makes efficiency nearly impossible as no one knows what anyone else is doing. Management says we're a team, but it never feels like it. Office staff lies to customers about when service agents have left the office to pick them up. They say we're lost in traffic or we left five minutes ago and then customers are upset with us. The office staff encourages you to skip doing certain things in the interest of time. Spraying a car with water to make it look like its been washed is one example. Management does not respect you. You are just the worthless employee who cleans their cars. They talk down to you and let their egos get in the way of being even remotely competent, compassionate or any other desirable human quality.

Advice to Management

Train management on how to talk to and motivate employees. Hire managers who can do more than make you tons of money. A manager with people skills (for both customers and employees) would be great. While office staff has a clear career progression, service agents slave away with no defined career path. Give service agents a reason to stay with Enterprise. Dont lie to customers about when we left the office and when cars will be ready.

DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME!

Former Employee - Management Trainee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Management Trainee in Miami, FL

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You become so caught up in your "career" that you become really close to the people you work with. You will pick up one or two friends along the way.

Cons

You have no life, the pay is garbage, you work like a slave and get treated pretty badly. Enterprise hires and promotes people based on sales and reputation (nothing else), therefore, the people they promote have, a lot of times, no people skills, are sharks that will sell you their mother for a promotion and they have no scruples. Occasionally someone "good" slips through. As time passes, you begin to realize how the higher up their career ladder you climb, the more constantly they harass you (literally...they threaten to write you up and to fire you) about your sales numbers, your coworker's numbers, your store's numbers...blah blah blah...its all $$$ to them and you are simply a money making machine (and if you are not...then you will be replaced). You agree to 49 hours a week of work only to surpass those hours to the point that you don't care about the money...you just want to rest. Most of the branches (at least in the miami region) are understaffed and they will hate you if you ever need time off or have an emergency. For example...I had a family emergency, I called out on the morning of the incident, informed them I needed two days, returned to work on the third day and got written up for not letting them know earlier (gosh...forgive me for not scheduling in a family emergency earlier) AND that's not all...they (both the branch manager and area manager) prodded me with questions until I divulged the details of my family emergency. It was only until I relayed some very personal things regarding the incident that they seemed to believe me. Well...you might say that maybe I'm a bad employee and call out a lot, but, I assure you...in the two years i worked for them I called out about 4 maybe 5 days, two of those being that emergency, the others were because I got sick. I didn't just work in one branch and experience one bad manager...I worked in a handful of branches. Take it from someone who stuck with them for 2 years (I made the best of my idle time between career choices) STAY AWAY...OR IF ITS TOO LATE...GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN. It's all flowers and sunshine at first...IT'S A LIE! Their employee retention is bad for a reason... and it's not that people aren't willing to sacrifice for this job, it's that the sacrifice is at too high a price and the success stories only happened once upon a time...

Advice to Management

Management?...well, that's a joke! If the sharks they hire are true managers, then I'm a magical unicorn that neighs rainbows and sunshine.