Entropic Communications
www.entropic.com San Diego, CA 500 to 999 Employees

Work environment going downhill fast

Engineer (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA

ProsFree soda if you call that a pro to working someplace.
I have worked at Entropic in San Diego for years It used to have many pros, but lately it's hard to find very many. With the purchase of the Trident SOC business, the work environment is on a rapid downhill trajectory to make Entropic like any other crappy semiconductor company. Any competent engineer could find a much better place to work.

ConsFired about 5% of the people on November 28, 2012 even though the company is financially strong and has openings that the CEO euphemistically called "...resource reallocations throughout the Company". It seems like the goal is to put fear into the remaining employees that they could be fired at anytime if they don't play the political game correctly. The end result will be everybody looking out for themselves and making sure somebody looks worse than them when the next firing comes. The management seems to be rapidly changing to the old school fear based model of management. Meanness seems to be the latest fad in the Entropic executive suite.
Other cons:
Office space is cramped and noisy making it hard to get work done.
Complete lack of transparency and honesty in management and decision making.
SOC business purchased from Trident is in much worse shape that management is telling investors with serious quality problems in the product line.
You won't find any enlightened management practices here.
Don't expect to get training in a new position if your position is no longer needed. Expect to get fired instead.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more honest with employees. Take their input more seriously and conduct a meaningful survey of employees attitudes about working at Entropic.
Read some books on building an enlightened and civilized place to to work.
Provide quiet offices for employees so they can be productive and get their work done.

Great!

San Diego, CA

I have been working at Entropic Communications

Pros: People are nice ,a lot of opportunities Cons: Very good,I love it, People are nice! Advice to Senior Management: Great place, people are really nice Great!Great!Great!Great!Great! Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Run, don't walk, away from this company.

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

I worked at Entropic Communications

Pros: I worked here when it was called "Trident Microsystems" in Austin, but they've since been bought by Entropic. Interesting work to be done. … Cons: The work atmosphere was terrible. I knew of people who were working until 4am, collapsing, and then coming back to work the next morning… Advice to Senior Management: You've inherited an overworked, underappreciated workforce and some cool technology. Invest,… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Entropic Communications.

Worked for Entropic Communications? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Entropic Communications reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Entropic Communications CEO Patrick Henry. All reviews posted anonymously by Entropic Communications employees.