EDF is a relaxed place to work where you feel like you are doing good things with good people

Current Employee - Associate  in  New York, NY
Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Environmental Defense

Pros

I think the best reasons to work for EDF has to be the atmosphere. The NYC office is extremely laid back, everyone is very friendly. The employers are very understanding of your personal life and time and don't want you to revolve your life around the job. As for the office itself, it is in a great location in the heart of the Flatiron district. The office has a very open floor plan with high ceilings that help prevent you from going stir crazy and It also consists of 4 floors and 3 kitchens with some of the most amazing views of the city I've ever seen

Cons

The downside of working at EDF has to be the leadership and continuity of the missions. Often it seemed there was no direct resolve in the work in we were doing.

My best advice to the EDF mgmt would have to be for better communication among the workers. Although communication was constant substance and meaning were often lacking

Other Reviews for Environmental Defense

Fun, intellectual, energetic place to work where everyone is passionate about what they do.

Former Employee - Coordinator  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Washington, DC

I worked at Environmental Defense

Pros

The Fun Committee, The annual all staff retreat, Working with some of the smartest and most hard working people around (definitely no slackers), Being part of a great machine working towards an awesome social cause, Being part of an ethical company that values employees, And the fact that EDF is growing provides great opportunity for creating your own career path. Also EDF alumni go off to do some great things.

Cons

With rapid growth some folks are let into the org and they don't necessarily have a passion for the environment but rather a passing interest. This sort of dilutes the passion-factor a little. Also some folks are promoted to manager status when they're not fully equipped to manage people.

You'll have less turn over from the younger generation if there were more set career paths that allow people to advance professionally in a systematic way.

Summer Internship - A great opportunity if you seek out your own challenges

Former Employee - Research Intern (Summer)  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Research Intern (Summer) in Austin, TX

I worked at Environmental Defense

Pros

The Austin office has experts from a variety of backgrounds, including biology, engineering, economics, business, geology, and law. The office is very laid back (especially in the summer, I'm told) and work hours are flexible. Once you demonstrate that you are a serious employee, there are great opportunities to take on a prominent role in research. I was able to attend City Council hearings and meetings with other environmental groups, and my research was regularly used on official EDF business. Best of all, nearly everyone is friendly and engaging. I developed several valuable connections that have lead to promising job prospects--and not just in Austin. Highly recommended (especially at $12/hour)!

Cons

As a motivated and passionate person, the office was sometimes too laid back for my tastes. I found myself doing more work than some of my "bosses" on some occasions--not because I was told to work harder, but because they weren't as dedicated to producing results as myself. Also, make sure you actively try to seek out work that interests you. When I first arrived, they would have been more than happy to give me somewhat brainless tasks to be completed in my little office for the duration of the summer. But because I pushed and nagged until I got work that was engaging, they were more than happy to comply. I got the sense that the full-time employees didn't trust interns to be effective and dedicated, but once I proved to them that I was capable, they shoveled over a great deal of responsibility.

Work your interns harder. I know many students sign up for an easy summer internship, but there is no reason you should humor them. EDF is working on a lot of important issues, and there are many engaging experts at the Austin office, so there is no excuse for interns not to spend the summer learning and working hard. Everyone benefits.

There are newer employer reviews for Environmental Defense.

Worked for Environmental Defense? Contribute to the Community!