Environmental Defense

www.edf.org

Summer Internship - A great opportunity if you seek out your own challenges

Research Intern (Summer) (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThe Austin office has experts from a variety of backgrounds, including biology, engineering, economics, business, geology, and law. The office is very laid back (especially in the summer, I'm told) and work hours are flexible. Once you demonstrate that you are a serious employee, there are great opportunities to take on a prominent role in research. I was able to attend City Council hearings and meetings with other environmental groups, and my research was regularly used on official EDF business. Best of all, nearly everyone is friendly and engaging. I developed several valuable connections that have lead to promising job prospects--and not just in Austin. Highly recommended (especially at $12/hour)!

ConsAs a motivated and passionate person, the office was sometimes too laid back for my tastes. I found myself doing more work than some of my "bosses" on some occasions--not because I was told to work harder, but because they weren't as dedicated to producing results as myself. Also, make sure you actively try to seek out work that interests you. When I first arrived, they would have been more than happy to give me somewhat brainless tasks to be completed in my little office for the duration of the summer. But because I pushed and nagged until I got work that was engaging, they were more than happy to comply. I got the sense that the full-time employees didn't trust interns to be effective and dedicated, but once I proved to them that I was capable, they shoveled over a great deal of responsibility.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork your interns harder. I know many students sign up for an easy summer internship, but there is no reason you should humor them. EDF is working on a lot of important issues, and there are many engaging experts at the Austin office, so there is no excuse for interns not to spend the summer learning and working hard. Everyone benefits.

Great place to work, important mission. Smart people, but less than they think.

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Environmental Defense full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Great atmosphere, with smart, pragmatic people who value innovation and do not adhere to… Cons: An organisation that is a little too full of itself, and sometimes lacks perspective. HR is often unresponsive,… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Fun place to work, challenging environment.

CCPS Fellow (Former Employee)

I worked at Environmental Defense

Pros: Great place to work. If you are concern about personal development, I would reccomend EDF. I… Cons: Communication was an issue most of the time. Advice to Senior Management: Great program, keep it up. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Environmental Defense.

Worked for Environmental Defense? Contribute to the Community!