Environmental Science Associates

There are newer employer reviews for Environmental Science Associates

Don't get too comfortable

Former Employee - Associate in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Environmental Science Associates full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great benefits
Nice office (In Los Angeles)
Small office
Easy to get friendly and close with co-workers
If you work on enough good projects you can add loads of experience to a resume
Was my first job where I got a bonus check

Cons

They don't invest as much in their employees as they may say. In fact , they year I was there the main guy chastised the bosses in on our office for spending money to send Associates to seminars and trainings.

I believe there are a lot of office politics at work. I wasn't always one to hang with co-workers during lunch and happy hour after work, so I think that attributed to me being let go.

If they don't have work, then you don't have work. And if you aren't working (billable) then you aren't of use. You must constantly ask for work to do.

No direct training to help new associates understand their place in the company and to really understand how their processes work.

After talking with my boss a few times, he said that they were interested in investing in their employees to raise in the ranks. Maybe he was misled also, but I didn't see that happening at all. People are too busy at times to help bring you up, so you may have to do it on your own.

In short, don't be lulled into a false sense of security. A woman I know who left there said "Almost everyday I went to work, I thought I might get fired."

Invest in your employees.
Stop using the facade of niceness and care. At the end of the day you run like a corporation. Just because you work related to the environment doesn't make you automatically a good, "caring" company.

14 Other Employee Reviews for Environmental Science Associates (View Most Recent)

A good place to work, with good people.

Current Employee - Anonymousssociate II in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymousssociate II in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Environmental Science Associates

Pros

I like that the company is employee owned because it helps to motivate you to succeed. I think management does a pretty good job of guiding the firm although sometimes their reasons for doing certain things aren't as clear as I would like.

Cons

Sometimes I think it is hard to move up the ladder here. Obviously the economy has affected salaries, but it does seem like that is a bit of an excuse considering how the group I am in is succeeding.

Provide more clarity for your reasons for decisions that are made. Focus more on firm wide recognition. Sometimes it looks like those who work at corporate receive more recognition and are able to move up faster.

Interesting projects, poor pay, lots of resignations

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Environmental Science Associates

Pros

Very interesting projects, good reputation, and offices are located near transit.

Cons

People are rarely or slowly promoted, then quit. Then the company hires new people at a position higher than the people who just quit, and sometimes these new people are less qualified then the people who quit. This lowers the morale for everyone. Also, for a small company, folks aren't very friendly. The 'competition' element is similar to larger corporate firms.

Promote from within. Stop hiring people without relevant education and people who lack industry experience. Try to fix the 'kiss up, kick down' culture that is dominates the middle management.

There are newer employer reviews for Environmental Science Associates