Environmental Science Associates

www.esassoc.com
  www.esassoc.com
There are newer employer reviews for Environmental Science Associates

Good company, must pave your own way

Current Employee - Associate
Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Environmental Science Associates full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Small knit firm, very knowledgeable staff, pay is relatively well compared to other comparable firms, longevity with minimal turnover, ESOP program for employees

Cons

limited training and unstable project management, difficult to determine company direction at times, workload can be monotonous, high cost of benefits, growing presence of more corporate ladders

Need for more training for junior-level staff, more transparency between staff and corporate, need to improve professional development and learn to grow the company from within, as opposed to hiring more top-heavy staff

6 Other Employee Reviews for Environmental Science Associates (View Most Recent)

Good for Upper Management

Pros

Good group of people. Employees are technically sound. They do good work that matters. You can work on some interesting projects at the Associate level if you land in the right group with the right type of projects. For certain groups with good project managers there can be opportunities for you to sharpen your technical skills. For others, not so good. If a group has limited projects and managers that won't delegate it can be a fight club style environment to meet your targets.

Cons

It is an employee owned company. We're told we have a voice in how it is run by picking the board. The system is flawed. The board nominees are appointed by a committee made up of board members. There are 9 board slots and 9 nominees. Of course they all got nominated. We were also told no raises this year, but a couple of months later there is an announcement about promotions. The same people keep getting rewarded. They claim it is because they are worried these favored employees will leave. What about the rest of us who are towing the line? Zip. And, when we bring it up it is used against us. And when some good people do leave they are trashed to others.Upper management calls the shots and don't let the managers on the ground run things. There is a rampant amount of favoritism starting at upper management.

Start rewarding the people who have been patient and stuck by when times were tough. Stop catering to those superficial upper management stars. Stop rewarding people who threaten to leave or cry that they are over worked. Let them go. Most should have left years ago, but couldn't in a bad economy. Why should they? Upper management keeps tossing money at them and promoting them for doing mediocre work. Stop giving the wrong people promotions and raises. Stop the favoritism. Keep upper management out of the equation. Listen to your rank and file employees.

No room for advancement

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Good benefits, ESOP program is like an added bonus every year, great people to work with for the most part.

Cons

Lack of opportunities to advance. Overworked staff. There seems to be a priority of Sr. Staff to hire old friends and ex-colleagues. This has resulted in a very top heavy structure. Because i have very Sr. Staff working on my projects and our already high billing rates, its hard to stay on budget for projects.

Pay attention to Jr staff and middle project managers. We are very unhappy. Hire some Jr. staff to help with the work so project managers arent stuck trying to do everything.

There are newer employer reviews for Environmental Science Associates

Worked for Environmental Science Associates? Contribute to the Community!