Epic Games

www.epicgames.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Epic Games

Fast and loose, employees are king

Current Employee - Senior Programmer in Cary, NC
Current Employee - Senior Programmer in Cary, NC

I have been working at Epic Games full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are very few obstacles to getting work done at Epic. Anyone can put in the effort and kick ass at their job. The company is run very smartly, and puts a lot of thought into staying lean and effective in the industry.
We have amazing benefits and amenities too, enough to make you wonder how other companies can be so boneheaded. This ranges from great health plan and 401k, to free lunches and stocked kitchen, to simple things like not having to fight for basics like a swingline stapler, a decent mouse, or a $50 piece of software that helps you do your job.
Cary, NC is, surprisingly, a great place to live. It looks like Hicksville, BFE on the map, but it's actually a technology mecca full of yankees, close to the beach, the mountains, and everything else the east coast has to offer.

Cons

If you need a lot of structure to get work done, Epic may not be the place for you. We're trying variations on Agile, or at least going through the motions, but it's very fast and loose. Ultimately people just do whatever needs to be done.
The downside to being pampered by Epic and working with the industry's best is that some days that means working with spoiled egotistical brats. Very few of Epic's employees realize how good they have it here.

28 Other Employee Reviews for Epic Games (View Most Recent)

It is the best job I have ever had!

I have been working at Epic Games full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people at Epic are amazing. They are incredibly talented and passionate about what they do. The management at Epic is constantly striving to make the culture and atmosphere at Epic a place that you want to come to work. The perks and benefits to the employees are the best I have ever seen for a company of this size.

Cons

Working at Epic can spoil you so that you become complacent about just how good it is.

Demanding but fulfilling - the people here are great and the quality of life is good.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

I have been working at Epic Games full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people here are top notch or the best in their fields.
    Learning experiences such as conferences and seminars have never been rejected.
    Cost of living in the area is very reasonable.
    Licensing the Unreal Engine gives us a financial cushion that is a rarity in the video game industry.

Cons

We've lost some good people in the last few years, but it's allowed people to step up.
    As the company gets bigger it gets harder to connect with everyone and know exactly what they do.
    More managers are being hired as we grow which makes us lose the feeling of a small company.

We need to ship a F2P game and stop adding all the unnecessary polish with bells and whistles.

There are newer employer reviews for Epic Games