There are newer employer reviews for Epic Systems Corporation

Good company, Awesome product, Management and Company having growing pains and at a Tipping point

Former Employee - Software Developer  in  Madison, WI
Former Employee - Software Developer in Madison, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Epic's product are awesome and they are better then their competitors by a mile (though some are catching up).. It dominates competition in almost all respects (which is rare in a customer centric market)
- Epic has an amazing work culture (customers who buy Epic are getting value for their money. Folks who join fresh out a college have a great chance of understanding how success comes about - hard work and focus.
- The campus is nice and almost a tourist attraction in its own right, though full time folks have nary an opportunity to enjoy it..
- Every employees gets a room (though again growth means some folks share) and believe me sometimes it makes a difference.

Cons

Let me preface this by saying that I work hard and am okay with giving 80 hours a week. In fact my advice to folks who are applying to Epic, its not just a software company, its software and services company (almost akin to consulting) and expect to put in long hours. Stop whining about work/life balance - it gets made not given. and realize that working at a company is about fitting with a culture (i.e. a give and take).
- Epic is made to an effect in its founder's image. There are things Judy believes and hence Epic does. But as the company grows its not adapting. So if you clash with "Epic's" ideals it will be difficult for you.
- There is a weird dichotomy in that we try to be open and transparent to customer as much as possible but the management decided to not do the same for its employees. It almost smacks of patronizing attitude towards employees. For example the fact that we do stackranking was news to most when it came out in the blogs. Feedback from the lead is always "tangential" and there is always a perception among employees about higher-than-average firings (and the management seems to not do much about this perception).
- A lot of your career advance is strongly linked to the types of projects you work on. Infrastructure projects are not visible and high impact and essentially you will end up wasting a whole release unless you take up projects on your own.(this is more for software devs though)
- While I was leaving we were trying to hire more to software devs to compensate for growth and were not doing a very good job of it. Essentially we seemed to be throwing more money at the problem without trying to address the systemic issues.

Full disclosure I left because I wanted to work on something other than Epic's stuff.

Okay I am going to write hoping that someone reads it (however unlikely)
- Be more transparent about advancement and performance. Employees are not kids and you are not their guardians (I know Judy sometimes like to say that - hopefully not seriously). Most people will take honest feedback well (just like how when we are honest to customers about bad things they react well)
- I understand that you like to think of SDs are interchangeable blocks (yes people who are reading this - almost all companies do this) but you are small company trying to grow and you need to hire SDs so you need to do better (you are not MSFT, Amazon, Google or Apple).
- I will try to draw a software analogy for this problem. When software project is chronically you don't throw more devs at it, you re-evalaute the project and reduce scope. Think along the same lines for your SD problem, make conditions for current SDs better.
- Finally this is something that nobody likes to hear but ... your work for the most part is not challenging at all, its about doing the processes right and hitting deadlines. So you don't need "good" developers, you need reliable, stolid and dependable devs who can work long hours. Aim to hire them. And yes you need a couple of good devs and you will get them from these folks

682 Other Employee Reviews for Epic Systems Corporation (View Most Recent)

0 work/life balance even for developers

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Madison, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay while living in Madison, WI

Cons

No work life balance
    Asked to work from 9AM to 9PM twice a week
    Lot of work over weekends
    Customers are treated as Gods(not bad) but employees are treated as slaves(very bad)

Start treating your employees with more respect. Your review system is seriously flawed. Make changes for the better of employees and not just for your customers.

Bad environment and micro management

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  Verona, WI
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good pay (only increased recently after a number of employees left the company), good benefits and nothing more.

Cons

Very bad work life balance. Basically, they want you to program in Mumps because that is what the system is built on. However much you slog and work hard, once you decide to leave the company, you are pretty much done. Just forget about working for any other customer of Epic. They have these stupid non-compete agreements and secretly enforce them and prevent any clients from hiring you. You work in a packaged world and when you come out, you will have to work extra hard trying to adapt to working in other technologies that are not relevant. Just take your talents some where else and utilize them properly. You can however still get into the Epic world (if only about money) by trying to get into healthcare IT who have Epic software and slowly entering into the Epic implementations by taking certifications. Here again, if you take certifications with one employer, you cannot jump to another employer easily, otherwise, Epic will 'blacklist' you. Stay away if you can. My colleagues are struggling to get out but they have to consider getting other employment once they come out. Some are on H-1B visas since Epic only sponsors in EB-3 so that you are stuck here for the next 20 years and slog here without any future outside.

There are newer employer reviews for Epic Systems Corporation

Worked for Epic Systems Corporation? Contribute to the Community!