There are newer employer reviews for Epic Systems Corporation

Good company, Awesome product, Management and Company having growing pains and at a Tipping point

Former Employee - Software Developer in Madison, WI
Former Employee - Software Developer in Madison, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Epic's product are awesome and they are better then their competitors by a mile (though some are catching up).. It dominates competition in almost all respects (which is rare in a customer centric market)
- Epic has an amazing work culture (customers who buy Epic are getting value for their money. Folks who join fresh out a college have a great chance of understanding how success comes about - hard work and focus.
- The campus is nice and almost a tourist attraction in its own right, though full time folks have nary an opportunity to enjoy it..
- Every employees gets a room (though again growth means some folks share) and believe me sometimes it makes a difference.

Cons

Let me preface this by saying that I work hard and am okay with giving 80 hours a week. In fact my advice to folks who are applying to Epic, its not just a software company, its software and services company (almost akin to consulting) and expect to put in long hours. Stop whining about work/life balance - it gets made not given. and realize that working at a company is about fitting with a culture (i.e. a give and take).
- Epic is made to an effect in its founder's image. There are things Judy believes and hence Epic does. But as the company grows its not adapting. So if you clash with "Epic's" ideals it will be difficult for you.
- There is a weird dichotomy in that we try to be open and transparent to customer as much as possible but the management decided to not do the same for its employees. It almost smacks of patronizing attitude towards employees. For example the fact that we do stackranking was news to most when it came out in the blogs. Feedback from the lead is always "tangential" and there is always a perception among employees about higher-than-average firings (and the management seems to not do much about this perception).
- A lot of your career advance is strongly linked to the types of projects you work on. Infrastructure projects are not visible and high impact and essentially you will end up wasting a whole release unless you take up projects on your own.(this is more for software devs though)
- While I was leaving we were trying to hire more to software devs to compensate for growth and were not doing a very good job of it. Essentially we seemed to be throwing more money at the problem without trying to address the systemic issues.

Full disclosure I left because I wanted to work on something other than Epic's stuff.

Advice to Management

Okay I am going to write hoping that someone reads it (however unlikely)
- Be more transparent about advancement and performance. Employees are not kids and you are not their guardians (I know Judy sometimes like to say that - hopefully not seriously). Most people will take honest feedback well (just like how when we are honest to customers about bad things they react well)
- I understand that you like to think of SDs are interchangeable blocks (yes people who are reading this - almost all companies do this) but you are small company trying to grow and you need to hire SDs so you need to do better (you are not MSFT, Amazon, Google or Apple).
- I will try to draw a software analogy for this problem. When software project is chronically you don't throw more devs at it, you re-evalaute the project and reduce scope. Think along the same lines for your SD problem, make conditions for current SDs better.
- Finally this is something that nobody likes to hear but ... your work for the most part is not challenging at all, its about doing the processes right and hitting deadlines. So you don't need "good" developers, you need reliable, stolid and dependable devs who can work long hours. Aim to hire them. And yes you need a couple of good devs and you will get them from these folks

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Bad environment and micro management

Current Employee - Software Developer in Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good pay (only increased recently after a number of employees left the company), good benefits and nothing more.

Cons

Very bad work life balance. Basically, they want you to program in Mumps because that is what the system is built on. However much you slog and work hard, once you decide to leave the company, you are pretty much done. Just forget about working for any other customer of Epic. They have these stupid non-compete agreements and secretly enforce them and prevent any clients from hiring you. You work in a packaged world and when you come out, you will have to work extra hard trying to adapt to working in other technologies that are not relevant. Just take your talents some where else and utilize them properly. You can however still get into the Epic world (if only about money) by trying to get into healthcare IT who have Epic software and slowly entering into the Epic implementations by taking certifications. Here again, if you take certifications with one employer, you cannot jump to another employer easily, otherwise, Epic will 'blacklist' you. Stay away if you can. My colleagues are struggling to get out but they have to consider getting other employment once they come out. Some are on H-1B visas since Epic only sponsors in EB-3 so that you are stuck here for the next 20 years and slog here without any future outside.

It all depends on your team, but for most part it sucks

Current Employee - Software Developer in Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice campus, cheap and good food, "use your best judgement" attitude (e.g. they ask you to use your judgement when spending on Epic paid dinners instead of setting a limit)

It is a great place to work if you have a good TL. Coworkers are generally intelligent and enthusiastic except for a few QAers who can be pretty dumb and irritating. There is constant feedback, which might be bad since feedback can come from anyone and goes to your TL directly.

Good work is appreciated, mostly. If you know how to say NO politely, you will be fine. If you can learn to take short breaks at work to enjoy the weather and the campus and leave your work at 5-ish and not bother about it at home, it will be a great place to work.

Cons

Though the pay is excellent when you join, the raise is slow . The yearly bonus is meager and is performance based and solely depends on your TL and his TL. So what it means is that, to get a good yearly raise and bonus you will have to work your ass off, at least if others in your team are doing so. There is no transparency in performance review. No one knows what you are rated on unless you are sneaky enough to find the review template in the shared folders. And you will be evaluated every second. They also fire a lot, so it's not a peaceful job for everyone.
    The expectations are high. There is no proper process for design and the deadlines are hard to reach. There are like a half dozen deadlines every month and 2 to 3 days of bug bash nights prior to these deadlines. You work till 9 or 10 and you get a stinky meal for that, while you should be enjoying your favorite show on TV or time with your wife and kids.

If you can't say NO politely, you will end up buried in the huge pile of work that never seems to shrink or stop. If you can say NO and crack a joke, then you will be fine.

You will always find your epic friends complain about work and their TLs.

Lot of stupid policies and HR never replies to your emails. You have a HR assigned to you when recruiting but you never meet him/her after you join until you are quitting or fired.

Most of the development policies of the company are misunderstood by the higher level developers/TLs and they follow them blindly and sometimes are not open to new ideas because of this. They promise fixes and enhancements to customers and then push the lower level developers to work overtime to get things done without any incentive. They keep pushing you saying "But we promised the customers, it is high priority and you should get it done" as if customers are going to kill you if you miss your deadline. Though they end up taking some years to solve certain customers problems.

Work in unpredictable and there is no set development cycle. It changes every year, so you can't make any travel plans way ahead (I mean, you can travel during peak times if you notify early enough, but when you come back from travel, god knows how much more you have to work)

A lot of developers do not get time to enjoy the campus though you are drawn to the company by it when you join. A lot of people eat at their desk, not just to go home early, but to work during that time and all the team members are independent individuals who cannot adjust their schedules to eat together. And of course the meetings at 12 so you can enjoy your lunch with a whole bunch of people talking about work.

A lot of bug fixes and sometimes bug enhancements are retrofit back to older versions, which sucks from a developer standpoint, because they are doing the same thing, writing the exact same code and documentation and going through a long tedious development process.

You are given ownership of modules and if anything goes wrong with your module, you take the responsibility and fix it, which is good. But there is no one to get help from, if you are not able to fix it.
    I guess this page is not enough to write about the company.

Advice to Management

Stop having so many deadlines and bug bash nights, that only leads to more and more bugs. Stop updating old versions of software so much that developers feel sick. They have life too, so let them live it outside their office at least after 8 hours of work each day.