Epic Systems Corporation

www.epic.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Epic Systems Corporation

An all-too-easy place to be stuck

Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Verona, WI
Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Management with farsighted plans, no needless crushing or controlling policies, that takes social responsibility issues pretty seriously. Whimsical campus (sadly, that fades into the perceptual background pretty fast, but it keeps popping back up as a plus too) and delicious food. Many bright and engaging coworkers. There is a ratrace, but participation is strictly optional (in fact, not really an option in the QA role).
QA is the lowest-stress role, hours 40-42/wk, 50 max in stressful moments.

Cons

Epic will tell you they're special, different from other companies, etc. They have a tendency to exaggerate their good deeds and policies, and there are many people around who swallow it uncritically. If you are bored by white and Asian yuppies, you'll find yourself very sad here.
Specific to the QA role, pay is low and increases slowly, and the role is not really respected by other roles. The chances of transitioning the work you do from boring things to interesting things is pretty low- odds are you'll test software day in and day out as long as you stay at the company.
Specific to me, I am infected with Generation Y special yuppie-ism. It is a lifelong and incurable infection. I studied beautiful and interesting things in college, and only came here after a year of failed applications to more interesting jobs, with the knowledge that grad school is a horrific economic trap. I despise testing software, my motivation levels fall and fall, and I probably will not be able to hold my job here much longer. If you are a more hardworking person than I, you may last longer, but your attitude will steadily get grimmer. If you are more like me and unable to beat yourself into doing boring things day in and day out, you will probably end up one of Epic's demoralized and ineffective liberal arts grad QAers who thought they were above doing a job robots will one day be able to do, and whether you're invited to leave will depend solely on the whim of your immediate manager.

I'm sure you get a lot of more generally applicable advice from better writers than me. So I'll stick to an issue specific to me: be warned, intelligence tests and looking at people's college records won't warn you that some people's heads are just irredeemably in the clouds, no amount of doing a little good or having a little fun or making a little money will pull them down. The work to be done does not line up with human interests. You would be wise to inform yourself with this fact before the desperate battle you face in motivating your employees.
Also, get over yourselves/get some perspective. You're good at what you do, but so are many people. You got lucky. Many people equally talented are your underlings, their talents kept in check by the endless supply of mindless things they have to do.

787 Other Employee Reviews for Epic Systems Corporation (View Most Recent)

Great right out of college, rough for adults with family

Former Employee - Project Manager/Implementation Consultant in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Project Manager/Implementation Consultant in Madison, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Lots of chances for those with little work experience to get. Managing projects, overseeing budgets, staff supervision.
    - You work with the smartest most driven people around
    - Beautiful campus if you can stomach the Wisconsin winter
    - Culture of accountability is one to be emulated
    - Good pay out of college

Cons

- Workload is immense. Average Epic employee probably accounts for 2-2.5 FTE at other places
    - Very little time carved out to manage people. Managers just get that added to their plates on top of everything else. This means that you don't get enough time with your manager and the performance review process is a joke.
    - If you're not good at saying 'No' and managing your plate, you will likely get burned out quickly.
    - Leadership feels that they can replace anyone with new college grads
    - Lower than market value pay for experienced staff

Look to lighten staff workloads to allow Epic to be a career choice. Let managers manage, focus on time for the Fun part of the Epic motto. With smaller workloads, projects will have better outcomes and staff with be happier.

Fun work with a lot of significance.

Current Intern - Software Developer in Madison, WI
    Current Intern - Software Developer in Madison, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Pays well, good benefits, engaging work. The campus is beautiful, and Madison has great access to outdoors-y stuff nearby, along with a lot of good restaurants and shops along state street.

Cons

The intern program felt a little disorganized, and is relatively new.

There are newer employer reviews for Epic Systems Corporation