Epic Systems Corporation

www.epic.com

An all-too-easy place to be stuck

Quality Assurance (Current Employee) Verona, WI

ProsManagement with farsighted plans, no needless crushing or controlling policies, that takes social responsibility issues pretty seriously. Whimsical campus (sadly, that fades into the perceptual background pretty fast, but it keeps popping back up as a plus too) and delicious food. Many bright and engaging coworkers. There is a ratrace, but participation is strictly optional (in fact, not really an option in the QA role).
QA is the lowest-stress role, hours 40-42/wk, 50 max in stressful moments.

ConsEpic will tell you they're special, different from other companies, etc. They have a tendency to exaggerate their good deeds and policies, and there are many people around who swallow it uncritically. If you are bored by white and Asian yuppies, you'll find yourself very sad here.
Specific to the QA role, pay is low and increases slowly, and the role is not really respected by other roles. The chances of transitioning the work you do from boring things to interesting things is pretty low- odds are you'll test software day in and day out as long as you stay at the company.
Specific to me, I am infected with Generation Y special yuppie-ism. It is a lifelong and incurable infection. I studied beautiful and interesting things in college, and only came here after a year of failed applications to more interesting jobs, with the knowledge that grad school is a horrific economic trap. I despise testing software, my motivation levels fall and fall, and I probably will not be able to hold my job here much longer. If you are a more hardworking person than I, you may last longer, but your attitude will steadily get grimmer. If you are more like me and unable to beat yourself into doing boring things day in and day out, you will probably end up one of Epic's demoralized and ineffective liberal arts grad QAers who thought they were above doing a job robots will one day be able to do, and whether you're invited to leave will depend solely on the whim of your immediate manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm sure you get a lot of more generally applicable advice from better writers than me. So I'll stick to an issue specific to me: be warned, intelligence tests and looking at people's college records won't warn you that some people's heads are just irredeemably in the clouds, no amount of doing a little good or having a little fun or making a little money will pull them down. The work to be done does not line up with human interests. You would be wise to inform yourself with this fact before the desperate battle you face in motivating your employees.
Also, get over yourselves/get some perspective. You're good at what you do, but so are many people. You got lucky. Many people equally talented are your underlings, their talents kept in check by the endless supply of mindless things they have to do.

Great right out of college, rough for adults with family

Project Manager/Implementation Consultant (Former Employee) Madison, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: - Lots of chances for those with little work experience to get. Managing projects, overseeing budgets, staff supervision. - You work with the smartest most… Cons: - Workload is immense. Average Epic employee probably accounts for 2-2.5 FTE at other places - Very little time carved out to manage people. … Advice to Senior Management: Look to lighten staff workloads to allow Epic to be a career choice. Let managers manage, focus on time for… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Good place to start out

Project Manager (Current Employee) Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros: You're surrounded by young, bright people who are all pretty much in the same boat as you if you're coming… Cons: The travel can be rough, you're likely to burn out in the first couple years, and you feel like you're a part of a huge… Advice to Senior Management: Give less team members to TLs and make sure people are getting… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Epic Systems Corporation.

Worked for Epic Systems Corporation? Contribute to the Community!