There are newer employer reviews for Epic Systems Corporation

Good company, but you're a number

Former Employee - Software Developer  in  Madison, WI
Former Employee - Software Developer in Madison, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart People
Flexible Hours
Great Salary
Work is Interesting
Great on a Resume

Bottom line, the company is what you make of it. If you're honest and forthcoming about what you want you can make a great career at the company.

Cons

* Poor Morale - There is high turnover for implementation due to the workloads and people not knowing how to manage their time. This bleeds to other areas of the company.
* VB6 - Enough said
* Managers - Some managers are better than others. I've had fantastic ones, and I've had mediocre ones.
* Winter is coming
* "Stock Options" are a joke (vest after 5 years, only get appreciation rights)
* They've been improving in processes but expect some new hurdle to jump through every couple of months to get your work done. It sucks, but some do actually work. A stupid one recently was a metric to get development into QA within 10 days of it being marked as complete. I've had logs where the quickest that was possible would be 100 hours of linear time.

Vet your TLs more consistently. I feel like a commodity to some team leaders and a valuable asset to others. Work on improving morale and retention. Allow people to move teams easier. Stop wasting people's time with hurdles, because not everything can be captured in a metric.

682 Other Employee Reviews for Epic Systems Corporation (View Most Recent)

Software Developer

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Madison, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very competitive salary, other benefits are average
    Most coworkers are very bright, friendly and helpful
    Health care IT has the potential to be very interesting and rewarding
    Its not the evil empire. For all its faults, Epic does have a lot of good things to offer.

Cons

Experience largely depends on your manager and his/her manager - some teams have reasonable expectations for work load, others do not. Its easy to find yourself overwhelmed. Epic's response to typically to blame poor time management on your part.

Software is fragile and poorly designed. This is partly because of the programming languages (a lot of MUMPS and VB6). Its also partly because Epic's developers, while generally very bright, aren't very experienced (and often don't even have a background in software development). So you end up with this immense code base filled with "newbie" mistakes - poor design decisions, no documentation, subtle but dangerous bugs. Its very difficult to be productive and innovative when this is what you have the work with. Don't expect to grow as a software developer at Epic.

Our end users don't really like our software, and resent having to use it. Epic's only pays lip service to addressing any of these concerns.

Company culture is weird - a lot of corporate naivete and arrogance. Generally treat employees like children - you'll feel like your back in middle school.

Evaluate your processes and expectations on your employees with a focus on increasing productivity. Focus on reducing stress and burnout, which will help your well-known employee retention issues.

Unqualified & unprofessional TL's, terrible work Environment.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Verona, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The Health Insurance! Thats it!!!

Cons

Everything else!! Terrible Leadership in certain Departments

There are newer employer reviews for Epic Systems Corporation

Worked for Epic Systems Corporation? Contribute to the Community!