Epic Systems Corporation

www.epic.com
  www.epic.com
There are newer employer reviews for Epic Systems Corporation

Good company, but you're a number

Former Employee - Software Developer in Madison, WI
Former Employee - Software Developer in Madison, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smart People
Flexible Hours
Great Salary
Work is Interesting
Great on a Resume

Bottom line, the company is what you make of it. If you're honest and forthcoming about what you want you can make a great career at the company.

Cons

* Poor Morale - There is high turnover for implementation due to the workloads and people not knowing how to manage their time. This bleeds to other areas of the company.
* VB6 - Enough said
* Managers - Some managers are better than others. I've had fantastic ones, and I've had mediocre ones.
* Winter is coming
* "Stock Options" are a joke (vest after 5 years, only get appreciation rights)
* They've been improving in processes but expect some new hurdle to jump through every couple of months to get your work done. It sucks, but some do actually work. A stupid one recently was a metric to get development into QA within 10 days of it being marked as complete. I've had logs where the quickest that was possible would be 100 hours of linear time.

Vet your TLs more consistently. I feel like a commodity to some team leaders and a valuable asset to others. Work on improving morale and retention. Allow people to move teams easier. Stop wasting people's time with hurdles, because not everything can be captured in a metric.

718 Other Employee Reviews for Epic Systems Corporation (View Most Recent)

Great place to start a career, but don't get stuck

Former Employee - Technical Coordinator in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Technical Coordinator in Madison, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great training program, young city and company, lots of early responsibility, good pay for the place you're living.

Cons

Overworking is pretty common, winters are awful, Madison is difficult to get to with the small airport, and your career opportunities get really narrow very quickly

Encourage technical employees to learn new languages and products, have a skunkworks opportunity for everyone

Challenging but great place to start out

Current Employee - Implementation Services in Verona, WI
    Current Employee - Implementation Services in Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Given immediate responsibility, work for industry leader, challenging and constantly changing work environment.

Cons

LONG hours (57 hour weeks are average across Implementation) with nearly 60% travel commitments. Not really a way out of Implementation unless you're willing to take a major pay cut.

There are newer employer reviews for Epic Systems Corporation