Epocrates
www.epocrates.com San Mateo, CA 150 to 499 Employees

Succeeds in spite of itself

(Former Employee)
San Mateo, CA

Pros- Innovative (core) product
- Brand recognition within the industry
- Work/life balance
- Vacation policy -- Policy was changed early 2011 essentially eliminating "formal" vacation hours (ie = take it as you want)
- Decent health benefits / gym reimbursement

ConsAs my headline indicates, Epocrates has succeeded in spite of itself the past 2 years. The strength of the brand and the core product itself seem to be the only things keeping the company afloat at this point (mid-2012). In my 8+ years of professional experience, I've never seen a company so accepting of failure and inefficiency, if not outright coddling it. There really seemed to be zero repercussions for poor performance.

Echoing some of the other comments, much of middle to senior management are severely out of touch with both the big picture and the day-to-day goings on within their departments. A number of recent hires were hired due to previous relationships/friendships with managers/VP's in their groups, regardless of their lacking relevant work experience. Definitely too much "buddy system" going on. A recent hire in my former department lacked the requisite skill set for their job... however they were a family friend of an executive, so they were hired without hesitation.

While there has been a decent amount of management (including executive) turnover in the past year, the proverbial ship doesn't seem to be anywhere close to being righted. An entire business unit was eliminated recently and there has been a steady exodus of tenured employees recently. My guess is many were pre-IPO employees hoping to hit it big when the company went public, only to have to have to stock flop since going public rendering most stock options worthless.

There is also a seven lack of infrastructure within the company. Almost no synergy exists between departments, especially the flow of information between engineering/sales. I've seen new products/features being sold that weren't actually going to be available in the channel for months out.

Where benefits are concerned, while the health benefits are good, the lack of company 401k match stinks. As a whole, the pay seems to be a touch lower for comparable positions elsewhere. A big draw for me was the opportunity to work at a start-up preparing to go public. As mentioned above, due to the poor performance of the company, I'd guess anyone who started at Epocrates within the past 3-4 years is underwater on their stock options.

Personal growth also seems to be non-existent from my experience. Speaking from personal experience, I was promised a career path yet never received this in my 2 years with the company. In lieu of allowing people to pursue areas of interest within the company, the only areas for advancement I saw fell more into the realm of "no one else wants to do this".

Advice to Senior ManagementThe executive team should take a serious look at the departments who routinely underperform and make swift changes accordingly. With Epocrates now being a public company who's accountable for revenue, the old way of doing things simply does not work... as evidenced by missing numbers every quarter they've been public. As noted above, synergy between groups needs to be greatly improved. Also need to figure a way to grow the business or expand the product line. The EHR initiative was a complete debacle and cost the company millions of dollars. This money could have been put to much better use expanding/upgrading the existing core products.

Definitely ups and downs and as of late very poor executive leadership

Sales Professional (Current Employee)
    San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Epocrates

Pros: The people who work for Epocrates make the company satisfying The product is very… Cons: Compensation isn't competitive Executive leadership isn't leading with passion and isn't innovative 401K Very… Advice to Senior Management: Consider making employees feel more like they are a part of the company and increase communication with employees so they feel like they are a… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Has moved down hill

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Epocrates

Pros: Vacation policy, industry leader, growth potential, many senior positions opening, ability to… Cons: All new senior management, currently recovering from the effects of a mismatched CEO, per recent… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Epocrates.

Worked for Epocrates? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Epocrates reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Epocrates CEO Jonathan S. Bush. All reviews posted anonymously by Epocrates employees.