There are newer employer reviews for Equinox Fitness

EquiNOT Fitness...Its Not a Career...Its Hard Work and Low Pay.

Current Employee - SPA Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - SPA Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Equinox Fitness full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The comraderie that is established amongst you and your fellow Equinox staff members is hard to beat. My experience was crazy but I always enjoyed going to work knowing that I would see great people and be able to hang out with them all day. To be able to laugh and have a break from the hard work was always welcomed.

Cons

You get paid minimum wage for most club hourly jobs and they WORK YOU TO DEATH! Expectations from you as a worker vs. what Equinox puts out as compensation, benefits or incentives is almost insulting. If you are a trainer, spa staff, yoga, etc....you get paid on commission BUT there are hard core quota's to hit and if you don't hit them, they will mercilessly cut you in a heart beat. Sometimes the clientele just isn't there i.e. Summer vacations, cultural holidays, long three day weekends, things that make your base clientele go out of town. THEY DON'T CARE! They have that "Where's my Money" mentality EVERY month and you better have it or start looking for another job. - To sum it up - its pretty cut throat.

Advice to Management

I think management has heard this all before many times from many employees. If you complain, they figure out a way to fire you or "make you quit". So, my advice to management is nothing. They have found a formula that works "Churn and Burn" and they are building more and more clubs from this business model so there is nothing to be said.

Other Employee Reviews for Equinox Fitness

Personal trainers are cattle

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in New York, NY

I worked at Equinox Fitness full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of higher income clients in one place, like any gym its easier to get clients except these clients tend to have a lot more money. If you're really serious about personal training and you're confident, its a good place to start. Definitely not a good place to stay

Cons

you have to live there. the hours are all over the place and you're only getting paid 8/hr. i remember working from 9am till 11pm. same environment, same obnoxious ppl. they say that they really are about making a difference, giving ppl appropriate programs; but they just care about you getting clients.

Advice to Management

get rid of FLOOR SHIFT or start paying ppl appropriately. 8/hr a child can't even live on. the memberships are incredibly high; the percentage that you take from our PT sessions are incredibly high; our pay is incredibly low; and the required times for the meetings, floor shifts, training are all over the place that one can't make time for a side job. they made me work on a holiday when i was suppose to go on a small trip with my family to celebrate AND THEY DON'T PAY TIME AND A HALF!!! 8/hr on a holiday to do a floor shift which is the definition of pointless work. the day i left was such a good day and i ended up making more money from dealing with my clients outside. If you require someone to sacrifice their life to you, at least pay them a livable rate. i feel as though there was a time that equinox really cared about their clients and wanted to give them the best of the best, but the truth is they just care about having that image and sucking the money out of ppl who belief it.

group fitness

Current Employee - Group Fitness Instructor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Group Fitness Instructor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Equinox Fitness part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

same as any other gym

Cons

not really much to complain about from a group fitness standpoint- although I used to work here as a personal trainer and there is plenty to complain about on that side

Advice to Management

so far so good