There are newer employer reviews for Equinox Fitness

EquiNOT Fitness...Its Not a Career...Its Hard Work and Low Pay.

Current Employee - SPA Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - SPA Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Equinox Fitness full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The comraderie that is established amongst you and your fellow Equinox staff members is hard to beat. My experience was crazy but I always enjoyed going to work knowing that I would see great people and be able to hang out with them all day. To be able to laugh and have a break from the hard work was always welcomed.

Cons

You get paid minimum wage for most club hourly jobs and they WORK YOU TO DEATH! Expectations from you as a worker vs. what Equinox puts out as compensation, benefits or incentives is almost insulting. If you are a trainer, spa staff, yoga, etc....you get paid on commission BUT there are hard core quota's to hit and if you don't hit them, they will mercilessly cut you in a heart beat. Sometimes the clientele just isn't there i.e. Summer vacations, cultural holidays, long three day weekends, things that make your base clientele go out of town. THEY DON'T CARE! They have that "Where's my Money" mentality EVERY month and you better have it or start looking for another job. - To sum it up - its pretty cut throat.

I think management has heard this all before many times from many employees. If you complain, they figure out a way to fire you or "make you quit". So, my advice to management is nothing. They have found a formula that works "Churn and Burn" and they are building more and more clubs from this business model so there is nothing to be said.

reviews filtered by
  1. Front Desk Associate

Former Employee - Front Desk in Highland Park, IL
    Former Employee - Front Desk in Highland Park, IL

I worked at Equinox Fitness part-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Friendly co-workers and general environment
    -Management was always open and available to any questions

Cons

-Training period was very short

Pays like McDonalds with ridiculously high standards

Current Employee - Front Desk MOD in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Front Desk MOD in New York, NY

I have been working at Equinox Fitness full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free gym membership and clean place to work out.

Cons

Everything else!
    -They treat employees so poorly. When i worked there from 2006-2008, they had at least two pending lawsuits from former employees.
    The pay for front desk is $8 and hour. They do not care about you one bit. Their members are absolutely everything to them. Getting more memberships and pleasing their members. You work long hours, no days off (open 365) and the standard of excellence is super high. They test you, train you, and "shop" you (having higher ups call you pretending to be a client to see what you say).

They have high left rates. Someone is always coming in and stealing and it's up to the front desk to be perfect and fight crime, check 1,000 people in, don't keep a potential member on hold for over 4 seconds and take spa appoints. Don't mess up because they are all watching.

Beware, you will get fired EASILY. They have the highest turn-over I've ever seen in a company. Their standards are high and if you fail to meet them, you're out! My guess is that if they put more time into employees and treated them better, they would perform better over time. Almost everyone I knew the 2+ years I worked there got fired between 2 weeks to 3 months. I ended up resigning as I couldn't take the stress anymore.

Good luck if you're applying for this job. You must be desperate.

They'll never read this because they don't care about their employees so what's the point?

There are newer employer reviews for Equinox Fitness