Equinox Fitness

www.equinox.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Equinox Fitness

If you like a clean gym that operates a step above slavery come here.

Current Employee - Personal Trainer in New York, NY
Current Employee - Personal Trainer in New York, NY

I have been working at Equinox Fitness full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As a trainer it has the best educational system for a trainer of any skill level, you'll find something new to learn from outside educators they bring in. However these educators are some of the best doctors, scientists and scholars in the New York City area.

Cons

Pay = They pay a floor trainer $8 an hour while Tier 1s start at $23 an hour (mind you they get $95 for this trainer from member) Tier 2 is $34.50 an hour (they take $105 from member) Tier 3 they pay $46 and get $120 for your skills. So in short the take is poor. Use them for their education and leave is what most trainers do.
Business Management - They don't care if trainers need more clients, their idea to boost business is bring on board more people(trainers) and reach the income goal of the company not of the trainer. I'd say even in January 50% of Equinox trainers are not where they want to be with income because the gym is over-saturated with Trainers.
Management = The managers they had pick all have sh1tty attitudes and mentally haven't developed a maturity level that is greater then a popular 16 year old in high school. Either you have to be a @$$ kisser with them or you have to go and hang out with them to get a "qualified lead." otherwise you better be a darn good salesman (this was how i survived, yes you survive here its rare to thrive here).
I also know for a fact that people who have applied for management have been turned down cause they are 'too nice'. This bothers me to the point where I have to mention it. When I learned this fact I realize they only put poor quality people in these management positions, I guess that's why people always complain about the managers on Yelp.com . They probably have to hire them corrupt just so they match upper management's value system or just don't out shine them.
I've had to deal with issues with the members myself more then half the time because they have a very hands off attitude with customer service.
Upper Management is mostly underqualified to run a gym with their "leaders" having degrees from Film School, Liberal Arts Degrees, former bankers, etc. You have 1 or 2 good people but the rest of them I wouldn't trust to run my business. I believe from this lack of quality leadership steams alot of the other issues this club has.
Remember a business is only as good as the people (or goons) you have running it.
My honest opinion is with all their flaws it would be easy for a group of people to do what the management at Equinox is doing only better. Management makes enemies with staff and members frequently enough, never see this any where else. It wouldn't surprise me when a legit competitor comes out of no where, comes in and knocks Equinox off the throne as the kings of luxury gyms.

224 Other Employee Reviews for Equinox Fitness (View Most Recent)

A place to go for abuse

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Equinox Fitness full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great facilities, a chance to meet people.

Cons

Shop Department lacks integrity, zero employee appreciation, would not recommend job to worse enemy...

People work for people, managing by using fear driven tactics is not good management!

There should be a zero option!

Former Employee - Maintenance in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Maintenance in Chicago, IL

I worked at Equinox Fitness full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nice gym... That's about it!

Cons

Employees for starters are mostly elitist like the rich and mostly white customers and are very high schoolish at that. So many cliques. The employee turn-around is bad at this place. I've never seen so many people leave, quit or fired. I've always seen a new employee every week, every other week, every month. The maintenance department has it worse than any other if you ask me. They are treated like lower class citizens and most of the people who work in maintenance are non-speaking citizens. They work you like a hebrew slave while most of the other people like the shop keep, cafe and even the front desk people are standing there chatting away while getting paid to do absolutely nothing. It's good to know that people get paid to do nothing there while the maintenance crew are working their butt off! The pay is also bad with the amount of work that has to be done. Upper management are just pathetic just to put it mildly. If you want a career at this place, you better look elsewhere 'cause you're pretty much SOL in the end when they toss you out in the streets.

There is none, because Equinox will find a way to get rid of them! C'est la vie!

There are newer employer reviews for Equinox Fitness