There are newer employer reviews for Equinox Fitness

There should be a zero option!

Former Employee - Maintenance in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Maintenance in Chicago, IL

I worked at Equinox Fitness full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice gym... That's about it!

Cons

Employees for starters are mostly elitist like the rich and mostly white customers and are very high schoolish at that. So many cliques. The employee turn-around is bad at this place. I've never seen so many people leave, quit or fired. I've always seen a new employee every week, every other week, every month. The maintenance department has it worse than any other if you ask me. They are treated like lower class citizens and most of the people who work in maintenance are non-speaking citizens. They work you like a hebrew slave while most of the other people like the shop keep, cafe and even the front desk people are standing there chatting away while getting paid to do absolutely nothing. It's good to know that people get paid to do nothing there while the maintenance crew are working their butt off! The pay is also bad with the amount of work that has to be done. Upper management are just pathetic just to put it mildly. If you want a career at this place, you better look elsewhere 'cause you're pretty much SOL in the end when they toss you out in the streets.

Advice to Management

There is none, because Equinox will find a way to get rid of them! C'est la vie!

Other Employee Reviews for Equinox Fitness

1. I learned the value of human contact, the importance of communication. The importance of being a well rounded individual

Former Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in New York, NY

I worked at Equinox Fitness full-time

Pros

Fun, Social Environment with Plenty of Opportunities to Branch out into different directions.

Cons

Invest in the best pair of Sneakers ;)

EquiNOT Fitness...Its Not a Career...Its Hard Work and Low Pay.

Current Employee - SPA Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - SPA Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Equinox Fitness full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The comraderie that is established amongst you and your fellow Equinox staff members is hard to beat. My experience was crazy but I always enjoyed going to work knowing that I would see great people and be able to hang out with them all day. To be able to laugh and have a break from the hard work was always welcomed.

Cons

You get paid minimum wage for most club hourly jobs and they WORK YOU TO DEATH! Expectations from you as a worker vs. what Equinox puts out as compensation, benefits or incentives is almost insulting. If you are a trainer, spa staff, yoga, etc....you get paid on commission BUT there are hard core quota's to hit and if you don't hit them, they will mercilessly cut you in a heart beat. Sometimes the clientele just isn't there i.e. Summer vacations, cultural holidays, long three day weekends, things that make your base clientele go out of town. THEY DON'T CARE! They have that "Where's my Money" mentality EVERY month and you better have it or start looking for another job. - To sum it up - its pretty cut throat.

Advice to Management

I think management has heard this all before many times from many employees. If you complain, they figure out a way to fire you or "make you quit". So, my advice to management is nothing. They have found a formula that works "Churn and Burn" and they are building more and more clubs from this business model so there is nothing to be said.