Ericsson-Worldwide

There are newer employer reviews for Ericsson-Worldwide

New potential employees beware

Current Employee - Project Manager in Plano, TX
Current Employee - Project Manager in Plano, TX

I have been working at Ericsson-Worldwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

100% paid healthcare premiums for entire family

Cons

Be very cautious before accepting a position with Ericsson as it will be enticing to you because of the impressive buildings and open public areas, the reported claim of being a major in telecomm and the highly skilled HR recruiters who will tell you what you want to hear so you accept a position. The pony show is over after you accept an offer and the reality of working for Ericsson sinks in quickly. Ericsson US employees are miserable and it is evident throughout the campus. Also, be very sure to negotiate your starting salary to one that is sufficient to support you for years because even though HR promises that the low base salary is misleading at Ericsson and that the generous bonuses, performance raises and other types of compensation make up for the lower base, it is not true. Bonuses are very low and as for performance raises, all I can say is good luck. We are told every quarter by the CEO about how disappointed Sweden is with our poor performance which is very detrimental to motivating anyone to strive harder than we do already. While the US must cut back on everything to the point it is ridiculous (make sure to bring your own supplies), you will see so much waste from Sweden. It is common practice for Swedish employees to come to the US for an one-hour unproductive meeting but stay a week so they can shop and play. On the other side, we are told to use video conferencing and travel better be the last option available.

Ericsson is very Swedish centric and does not welcome US operations' attempts to offer fresh insight into the "ways of working." You will see a lot of "motivational" campaigns such as "It all begins with us" and the Dialog survey which, if you rank anything lower than satisfied, the "confidential" based survey will find you sitting with HR and your manager to explain your responses. This is known through the US so the results will obviously make it appear that everyone is so happy, loves their job, is highly motivated and that Ericsson is the greatest. It is unfortunate because there are so many talented individuals in Plano that will never advance their career farther than where they started and most are very quick to leave. I have been holding out to see if change would happen but I am done with that delusion and will be leaving myself as soon as possible.

If you are not Swedish, you will most likely find your Ericsson experience to be very frustrating and you will not remain for the long term.

Start listening to your talent base outside of Sweden for the ideas to take Ericsson into the future as a leader. Ericsson is becoming a dinosaur because of the Swedish centric mentality of its' upper management. It has let their dominance in Sweden and the EU skew their perception of their global position in the telecommunication industry. They need to wake up before it is too late to do so.

2346 Other Employee Reviews for Ericsson-Worldwide (View Most Recent)

Good company overall, enjoyed my time working here.

Former Employee - Software Architect in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Software Architect in Plano, TX

I worked at Ericsson-Worldwide full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Methodical, lots process in place and support for an efficient working environment. Liked the consistency across the company (for example computer/software use shared company wide, not different between each group/department/location/etc.). Challenging work.

Cons

Very office oriented expectation spend most time working in office - not big on working from home or teleworking for most all roles. I had concerns about work not being done by the best team or location but seeing high preferences for teams in Sweden/northern Europe over other global locations. Global company, with strong preferences not to do R&D outside Europe. Good if you are in Europe, not so good sometimes if elsewhere in the world.

Look at value of teleworking and work from home for much wider scope of positions. Evaluate where R&D is done, I saw often work outside Sweden/Europe overseen by teams there, or also cases where it was clear teams highly capable and ready outside Sweden/Europe disbanded in preference to existing teams where I was not sure they were as ramped up/capable of handling the work being given them. If going to be global, be global and smart about it.

Internship at Ericsson

Current Intern - Project Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Intern - Project Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Ericsson-Worldwide as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Big company, lots of different people.

Cons

Very quiet office, little to no interaction.

There are newer employer reviews for Ericsson-Worldwide