There are newer employer reviews for Esri

Jack is always looking for ways to use GIS to benefit society as well as the natural environment.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Redlands, CA
Current Employee - Project Manager in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri

Pros

The environment is engaging and collaborative. The spatial industry is filled with interesting people and projects. There are numerous opportunities to become engaged in interesting projects though internal competition can be a bit cut-throat. The ability to daily interact and trial new applications and software as well as stay in touch with others whom have the same interest is very beneficial. The working environment is quite flexible though it seems to be focused on younger talent and the veterens are few and far between. Overall, as a recent graduate, I would highly recommend getting started at ESRI. The environment is challanging as well as rewarding.

Cons

While ESRI, as well as many organizations, strive to create a seamless and virtual project team structure, remote staff often do not have the same opportunities for advancement. While the industry is changing and GIS is becoming more mainstream due to products such as google maps and virtual earth, the impact has made ESRI much more business focused than in earlier years. While ESRI is a 'business' with much of the operating revenue coming due to software sales, the implementation of projects can be quite challanging and trying. In order to compete for projects, often the most risky ones are selected and as a result, high risk can often result in public failure.

Advice to Management

Manage your people, not your own projects.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Love what we do at ESRI, great place to work, great town to live in.

I have been working at Esri

Pros

Relaxed, dynamic environment. Muticultural and friendly. You can be very creative. To be on the cutting edge of technology we have the latest in hardware and software, there is ample opportunity for continued learning, either through courses or reimbursed tuition fees. We have a really good medical care plan and 401k. The company contributes 50cents to the dollar up to 6% of your salary. Jack Dangermond I feel is a very driven man, strives not only for the company, but his employees and I am proud to work for him. The best thing about ESRI is that it is privately owned and not affected by being publicly floated on the sharemarket.

Cons

there are some people there that just turn up for a paycheck, are lazy and don't add content. Its hard to get rid of them. Not many, but a few. There is no onsite childcare. You have to be very self reliant, a self starter and for those that aren't like that there will be a long period of isolation. Not in every case, but due to a lack of real manager direction for the most part, you are left to decide what you should be doing. Not the style I am accustomed to, but gives me ample opportunity to be creative.

Advice to Management

More direction, more feedback as to how we are doing in the market place. Staff need a way to give reviews of their managers because some couldn't manage their way out of a paper bag. I was on a team where I felt very frustrated as the management style was basically non existent. I could do what ever I wanted and as long as I looked busy that was good enough. I didn't this as I want to add content to the product, feel a sense of achievement and gain experience that I could take away with me if and when I leave.

A good place to work

I have been working at Esri

Pros

ESRI is a good place for freshers. You can really be creative and make up your own career path. If you are self starter who is willing to take initiative ESRI is a good place to work. The people at ESRI really take lot of pride working there. ESRI is a consitently growing company

Cons

ESRI has a very flat hierarchy and if you are not self motivated you can really loose you way. Sometimes the difference between people who really work hard and those who take up offices is not very evident. This could be a real demotivator. It is very traditional conservative company where change happens very slow.

Advice to Management

Reward employees who really work hard