Challenging work...little pay

Current Employee - Geodata Support Analyst in Redlands, CA
Current Employee - Geodata Support Analyst in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training, training, training. You are supported and encouraged to find your niche.

Cons

The pay does not reflect experience.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Bad Management

Former Employee - Developer in Redlands, CA
    Former Employee - Developer in Redlands, CA

I worked at Esri full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-The campus is nice, although the buildings feel old and worn. -Some intelligent people in the company.

Cons

-The pay is the lowest in the industry and when adjusted for cost of living, the situation is even worse. The company will give all sorts of excuses why the wages are so low. -Benefits are terrible for the software industry but management tells you they are great. -No room for growth. Management likes to say the company has a flat management style, yet when there is one manager for every three employees I find that hard to believe. -Management are clueless. Most managers don't have a clue about anything technology related despite that esri tells us we are a software company. -No company anything. Don't expect to be given a free company shirt when you attend the huge user conference in San Diego every year. Don't expect a free drink, meal, or snack. They don't even have band-aids available in the break room. We were told to moderate our use of office supplies, as if using company pens is bankrupting this extremely wealthy company. There is no such thing as a company party or event. Sometimes people through small parties but you have to pay $50 to attend. -The founder never shows his face to employees. I have worked at esri for many many years and not once has Jack ever come to a meeting or all hands meeting to address us. I have never seen him in person or the majority of the executive management. What is he so afraid of? That his unhappy employees will tell him how they really feel? -Cutting benefits and hours. The company restricts how many hours you can work, you get paid by the hour. And they have changed health insurance to one with much less coverage.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the a lot of the management if you really want to be "flat". Give raises to keep talented people around. The reason your software is full of bugs is because the company is too cheap to keep talented and driven people around. Jack, why are you short changing your employees? We are the lowest paid in the industry and you think that telling us "Thanks for your work" once a year in an email is going to make up for the shitty pay and benefits?

Look elsewhere. This place is a nightmare.

I worked at Esri full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great technology. If you love GIS. Nice people (peers) Beautiful campus

Cons

Pay absolutely sucks (long hours, no overtime rate, 30% below market avrage) Zero career growth (in fact you may seriously damage to your career if you stay too long) HR is actively hostile (I've never experienced anything like it - this management style is 100 years old. Fear and intimidation is how you motivate people?! Most of the employees just pray they don't receive a call from HR. Most get do by falling for one of the many traps HR sets such as questioning you about sites you visit even if you do so on your lunch break) Micromanagement (In fact I have to give Jack some credit here. He has brought micromanagement to an entirely new level, a level I never thought was possible in an organization of this size) Basically this is just another 3rd tier company. After having worked for some 1st and 2nd tier players I can honestly say I am really glad the ESRI experience is history.

Advice to Management

Wake up