Esri

There are newer employer reviews for Esri

Remarkably Bad

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Redlands, CA
Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Redlands, CA

I worked at Esri full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

ESRI used to be a great company. If you are desperate for work, then by all means apply.

Cons

Any honest and meaningful assessment of ESRI on this website (or any website for that matter) will be negative. Any of the positive assessments are 'seeds' planted by either HR and the management for damage control. Look at the frequency of the negative assessments about ESRI on this website and their similarities. Also, pay attention to the level of detail provided in the negative assessments as opposed to the bland 'whitewash' comments of the positive assessments.

I was the fourth person to leave the department in less than 2 years and none of us have been replaced. The work just keeps getting shifted around. Those that remain continue to be overwhelmed and under-appreciated.

Not in a good way - ESRI is a privately-held company that answers to no one.

Giving any advice to the management at ESRI is the epitome of wasting time.

241 Other Employee Reviews for Esri (View Most Recent)

Bad Management

Former Employee - Developer in Redlands, CA
    Former Employee - Developer in Redlands, CA

I worked at Esri full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-The campus is nice, although the buildings feel old and worn.
    -Some intelligent people in the company.

Cons

-The pay is the lowest in the industry and when adjusted for cost of living, the situation is even worse. The company will give all sorts of excuses why the wages are so low.
    -Benefits are terrible for the software industry but management tells you they are great.
    -No room for growth. Management likes to say the company has a flat management style, yet when there is one manager for every three employees I find that hard to believe.
    -Management are clueless. Most managers don't have a clue about anything technology related despite that esri tells us we are a software company.
    -No company anything. Don't expect to be given a free company shirt when you attend the huge user conference in San Diego every year. Don't expect a free drink, meal, or snack. They don't even have band-aids available in the break room. We were told to moderate our use of office supplies, as if using company pens is bankrupting this extremely wealthy company. There is no such thing as a company party or event. Sometimes people through small parties but you have to pay $50 to attend.
    -The founder never shows his face to employees. I have worked at esri for many many years and not once has Jack ever come to a meeting or all hands meeting to address us. I have never seen him in person or the majority of the executive management. What is he so afraid of? That his unhappy employees will tell him how they really feel?
    -Cutting benefits and hours. The company restricts how many hours you can work, you get paid by the hour. And they have changed health insurance to one with much less coverage.

Get rid of the a lot of the management if you really want to be "flat". Give raises to keep talented people around. The reason your software is full of bugs is because the company is too cheap to keep talented and driven people around. Jack, why are you short changing your employees? We are the lowest paid in the industry and you think that telling us "Thanks for your work" once a year in an email is going to make up for the shitty pay and benefits?

Product Engineer at ESRI for 4 years

Current Employee - Product Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Product Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Esri full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good source for GIS training.
    Southern California weather.

Cons

Management will bring the company down. It will take time, but it's going to happen. They lack experience and strongly encourage politics at all levels which ultimately hinders the companies performance.

The pay is very low for the computer industry. The benefits are average at best.

The company likes to claim it's a flat organization during the interview process. Do not fall for this tactic. It's a smoke and mirrors technique. The company is riddled with many layers of management. Another tactic during the interview process ESRI likes to use is offering an extremely vague job description. Be cautious about what position you are accepting.

Change within the organization from one group to another is near impossible.

Upper management just below Jack needs to seriously consider getting a hold of middle and lower management or at least communicating with them. The company will not survive in today's global market space, not with the other big companies now entering the online mapping community.

There are newer employer reviews for Esri