There are newer employer reviews for Esri

Sr Software Engineer

I have been working at Esri

Pros

HQ only: A real office, not cubicle. Nice profit sharing, full benefits a la Microsoft. Very stable company that provides employment for life. Nice city, quiet life, low real estate prices.

Cons

Not much career movement. If you want something more, you either move to the less quiet area or create a startup.

223 Other Employee Reviews for Esri (View Most Recent)

Stuck in 90's

Current Employee - Lead Developer  in  Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Developer in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Job safety - Not a single layoff in the past 40 years.. You can see Jack at the cafe almost daily, how cool is that!! a CEO standing in line with you.. great guy.. market leaders in GIS.. Great medical benefits.. Paid by the HOUR

Cons

Hmm .. ok where do I start.. Absolutely zero career path so make sure you get in with a nice title and a package because you are not going to stay in that level forever, no promote from within mentality.. Though market leaders but not technology leaders, new ideas, designs, best practices are scoffed at by your direct supervisors who doesn't want to come out of their comfort zone.. Federal office mentality where people just do what it takes to survive or please Scott, who runs the company though Jack owns it.. Everything catches up late with esri - development methodologies, design(if there is one,we developers just do what we feel is right), best practices, consumption models, business plans, sales plans this is even after seeing other small and big companies successfully outperform them, hence stuck in 90's mindset.. REDLANDS is a big con.. Company is only suitable for people who wants to be comfortable without being challenged much and survive and get a paycheck at the end of the day, very bad for people looking for exciting challenges & opportunities..

OPEN your eyes please.. We are the leaders but it doesn't mean we are going to stay there forever..

Summer Internship

I worked at Esri as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great opportunity to learn, Friendly, Helpful Colleagues

Cons

More responsibilities for interns would give the interns a better scope to learn & reapply for a full time position

There are newer employer reviews for Esri

Worked for Esri? Contribute to the Community!