Overall a good place to work, lots of learning opportunities and a fairly low stress environment.

Current Employee - Product Engineer  in  Redlands, CA
Current Employee - Product Engineer in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri

Pros

The best thing about working there are the other people. Most of them are pretty cool and are willing to get involved with outdoor activities.

Cons

For the most part it is a flat organization so there isn't much room for upward mobility.

Other Reviews for Esri

Very good entry level position

Former Employee - Support Analyst  in  Redlands, CA
    Former Employee - Support Analyst in Redlands, CA

I worked at Esri

Pros

Learning environment and knowledge transfer is great. Ability to learn new technologies while working is higher than average.

Cons

Difficult to transfer within company. Transferring usually requires a two year minimum at your current position.

ESRI has made an effort to listen to its customer base, but with the cult like following of its customers they still have a long way to go to make the software what it should be. All of the pieces are there they just need to take a lesson from Apple and make it user friendly and more productive.

Great in some areas, lacking in others

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri

Pros

At Esri you work with a lot of very smart people at all levels, and generally the "power distance" between management and employees is quite small. I think many employees overlook the value of their medical benefits. We pay for our co-pays and deductibles as is standard with all plans, but we do not pay for our insurance. Most companies require the employee to kick in something per paycheck. And the coverage is generous.

Esri is a great place to grow laterally, but with a flat heirarchy there is little "upward" movement to a career. If you are a promising employee, you will be given more responsibility over time and will feel and upward trajectory as your influence grows.

Other reviewers have alluded to duplication of effort within the company, but that is part of its deliberate design. Jack wanted a marketplace of ideas similar to what you might find in an academic setting. This sometimes leads to friction as two groups attempt to reach a similar goal, but the point is for the best idea, the best approach, to come out of this creative conflict. It may not make us comfortable, but the success of the company sure validates this method.

Cons

Most people at Esri haven't a clue as to how to provide feedback either to each other or to their employees. Managers dread the review process and try to get through it with as little "drag" on their daily work as possible. It is not seen as an opportunity to help employees grow. Most managers believe that employees already "know" what their problems are and that those employees deliberately choose to continue with whatever behavior is undesirable. It never occurs to managers to be honest yet constructive in telling an employee what he or she should improve.

Management itself is not seen as a worthy way to spend the day. Middle managers are expected to spend their 75% of their day on "real" work and no more than 25% on "management." Their workloads can be crushing as a result. Directors (top level management) work just as hard, however. No one at a high level in the company is coasting.

Lack of career growth is perennially given is the #1 source of dissatisfaction for Esri. This is reflected in the feedback on this site. I don't think I can add more than that.

There are newer employer reviews for Esri.

Worked for Esri? Contribute to the Community!