There are newer employer reviews for Esri

Overall a good place to work, lots of learning opportunities and a fairly low stress environment.

I have been working at Esri

Pros

The best thing about working there are the other people. Most of them are pretty cool and are willing to get involved with outdoor activities.

Cons

For the most part it is a flat organization so there isn't much room for upward mobility.

227 Other Employee Reviews for Esri (View Most Recent)

This is no longer the place where people wish to work

I have been working at Esri

Pros

Relaxed work dress
    Work with very knowledgeable people on a daily basis

Cons

After 12+ years working at ESRI, the mindset, attitudes, and general work atmosphere have shifted away from working successfully alongside some very intelligent people to always "looking out for number 1." Personally, I think a lot of this shift has come from the changes made within management and HR. HR has most people running paranoid that there every move is being monitored whereas management has no real say over this or how issues are handled.

Step up and quit letting HR rule how you do your job.

Great in some areas, lacking in others

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri

Pros

At Esri you work with a lot of very smart people at all levels, and generally the "power distance" between management and employees is quite small. I think many employees overlook the value of their medical benefits. We pay for our co-pays and deductibles as is standard with all plans, but we do not pay for our insurance. Most companies require the employee to kick in something per paycheck. And the coverage is generous.

Esri is a great place to grow laterally, but with a flat heirarchy there is little "upward" movement to a career. If you are a promising employee, you will be given more responsibility over time and will feel and upward trajectory as your influence grows.

Other reviewers have alluded to duplication of effort within the company, but that is part of its deliberate design. Jack wanted a marketplace of ideas similar to what you might find in an academic setting. This sometimes leads to friction as two groups attempt to reach a similar goal, but the point is for the best idea, the best approach, to come out of this creative conflict. It may not make us comfortable, but the success of the company sure validates this method.

Cons

Most people at Esri haven't a clue as to how to provide feedback either to each other or to their employees. Managers dread the review process and try to get through it with as little "drag" on their daily work as possible. It is not seen as an opportunity to help employees grow. Most managers believe that employees already "know" what their problems are and that those employees deliberately choose to continue with whatever behavior is undesirable. It never occurs to managers to be honest yet constructive in telling an employee what he or she should improve.

Management itself is not seen as a worthy way to spend the day. Middle managers are expected to spend their 75% of their day on "real" work and no more than 25% on "management." Their workloads can be crushing as a result. Directors (top level management) work just as hard, however. No one at a high level in the company is coasting.

Lack of career growth is perennially given is the #1 source of dissatisfaction for Esri. This is reflected in the feedback on this site. I don't think I can add more than that.

There are newer employer reviews for Esri