Essex Property Trust

www.essexpropertytrust.com
  www.essexpropertytrust.com
There are newer employer reviews for Essex Property Trust

Not a bad company to work for, but there are a few flaws.

Current Employee - Leasing in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Leasing in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Essex Property Trust

Pros

-Decent pay/commission based compensation structure.
-Some flexibility with time off. If you need to take vacation you can ask employees from sister properties to cover for you.
-Bonuses offered to lease longstanding vacant apartments.
-Sense of team spirit.
-Professional environment.
-They reimburse you for laundry (Essex apparel only)
-Good experience.
-Job security (so long as you meet your goals of course)

Cons

They overwork employees. There is not enough staff. I refuse to believe they can't find people to hire. They just milk their employees and expect the same high level of work output with only 3/5th the staff. They hire and promote people who are related to or are friends with a current employees. Not a huge con but they do this a lot and then end up hiring relatively incompetent/under qualified people.
Huge salary cuts recently, while, I'm sure upper management saw raises.
They try to squeeze every last penny out of residents from their security deposit to make up for vacancy loss caused by their own ill model.

Stop raising rents obnoxiously! Tenants leave and then we have apartments stay vacant for months, suffer vacancy loss, only to reduce the rate and rent them out at even lower rates than what the previous tenants were paying! It makes no sense! The problem is the current software we are using to generate pricing!
The leasing staff has the power to keep your residents happy, rent and increase revenue. Please don't be cheap and hire sufficient staff so that the job can be done right.

33 Other Employee Reviews for Essex Property Trust (View Most Recent)

Good company to work for. My manager is the best.

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Bothell, WA
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Bothell, WA

I have been working at Essex Property Trust

Pros

Well managed company with great training available for all levels. Lots of advancement potential with many people having been with the company for 10-20 years. Very nice people to work with.

Cons

Being in residential property management, at the leasing level we have to work weekends. The pay is less than I had imagined it would be. We have to wear company provided clothing with company logos. They keep changing the commision structure so that we end up making less, This has happened twice in 2 years.

Don't reduce already small commisions for the leasing staff. Many have left as a result of this. Myself included.

Working at Essex

Current Employee - Propety Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Propety Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Essex Property Trust

Pros

Essex will push a person to the limit. There is an old saying... "Push an employee until they start to push back". This is my experience with Essex. If a person is new to the industry and very eager, this is a pro. This person will learn a tremendous amount at how to deal with unsatisfied customers.

Cons

Essex will push a person to the limit. There is an old saying... "Push an employee until they start to push back". If you are well established and know what you are doing, this is a con.

Invest more in the communities and the staff, and allow them to take the reins, you may be very surprised with the outcome.

There are newer employer reviews for Essex Property Trust