My experience was deplorable at best due to upper mgmt stuck in the 1990's in how they operate.

Former Employee - Account Manager
Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Estes Express

Pros

Estes Express emphasizes family owned and to some degree that is a positive. If you are a driver you have job security.

Cons

Terminal management and sales are expendable. The treatment from corporate to the field is terrible and is truly a top down situation. The corporate office believes that if they were not there then the field personnel would not be needed at all. It is really vice versa. The corporate people treat field employees like dirt on their shoes. Most mid level managers (District and above) for the most part manage by avoidance. If they don't address an issue they just hope it goes away. The company is stuck in the 1990's in regards to Information technology. Decisions are made everyday with very outdated information and even the customer;s website to Estes Express severly lags behind the competition. The management of this company do not hold their real asset (people) in high regard. They do not care about them nor do they want to change anything to make Estes Express a better place to work. You as an employee excluding drivers are held to the highest level of accountability but when it comes to the District level and upper management they have no accountability. There is no visibility from the upper management other than a quarterly video from Rob Estes saying that either things are bad and there is no more money for employees or equipment. Employees in the field are kept in the dark and upper management likes it that way. There is no room for advancment for two reasons: 1. The District and Upper management for the most part are over the age of 55 and have not kept up with the times and 2. They do not want an infusion of new blood with new ideas. Upper management has their ticket punched and their permanent seat reserved for the Estes Express train ride.

Incoroporate new blood into key positions, don't be afraid of change. Some key advice would be to hold the District level management accountable and put out there the real story, missed pickups, true service figures, basically report what happens each day with integrity. Don't be afraid to get rid of some of the key players. They may have gotten the company this far but for long-term they will not sustain the company for a long-term future.