There are newer employer reviews for Esurance

Do not work in IT.

Former Employee - Systems Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Systems Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Esurance

Pros

Location in SF is great, except parking is expensive if you plan to drive. If you bart, then it's great.

Cons

Incompetent management. People get promoted at Esurance because they have been there since the conception of it. They stay because they can't find jobs anywhere else and wouldn't be able to hack a job outside of their little enclave of Esurance. IT workers are capable, but their management is less than mediocre both from a technical perspective and from a people managment perspective. They will work you unnecessarily and without good reason.

IT - Get it together. The product and advertisement departments are doing a good job. You are not. Your code stinks and your policies are from the time of the Land of the Lost.

188 Other Employee Reviews for Esurance (View Most Recent)

Good News doesn't travel fast? Where are all the happy people?

Current Employee - Sales Agent  in  Rocklin, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in Rocklin, CA

I have been working at Esurance

Pros

Esurance is a "dot.com" which means they need staff available in nearly all departments 24 hours per day. For the most part, this allows employees to find and work a schedule that fits their needs to reach the best work/life balance. I currently am enrolled in 12 units of Upper Division business courses working towards two Bachelor Degrees and am able to work 40 hours a week while earning career type salary. Esurance is always trying to find innovation within the industry and within the company and have an open door policy for suggestions. The suggestions are heard and the good ones are implemented. Oh and did I mention that they are paying for my school?

Cons

Well, related to the upside of working for Esurance I think it would be fair for me to say that you do need to put in some time at whatever schedule you are hired for before receiving your most desired shift. At least in my department (Sales) that is how it works. If you leave the company within one year of being reimbursed for tuition you must repay the tuition that you were reimbursed for within that time. Seperately from my "best reasons", if you are a person not accustomed to a work environment that changes constantly, even sometimes monthly, then this is not the place for you. Because they try out alot of different ways to conduct business, there are always numerous projects starting up and getting shut down so you need to be mentally flexible.

Please continue to communicate as you have been with regard to changes to the Company. Please continue to listen to and implement suggestions from all employees.

Thank you for offering me a job and coming into my life at a time where I was in dire need of employment and rescuing me from another dotcom facing it's second bankruptcy filing and actually closed on my second day in New Hire Training.

I'm coming up on my 2-year anniversary and depending where you can take me after I am finished with school I very well may work my entire career for your company. I'm very satisfied.

You can do better.

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Esurance

Pros

The best reason to work here is brand recognition. Outsiders are familiar with the company and see it as a high profile place to work. In addition, they pay an average salary and they always have positions to fill. If you can insulate yourself from management you can actually get things done and acquire some pretty good experience. For the most part the people are good and reasonable to work with. The ones that have been there a while have learned to cope with the environment and shield themselves from the issues, but it is not for the easily frustrated.

Cons

There is very little job satisfaction. You have to work very hard for a very average salary. The management style is very authoritarian and top down. Lots of whip cracking and little real leadership. In that sense their behavior is very predictable. This is reflected in their extremely high employee turnover rate. In addition, promotions are somewhat undesirable here. Management sets expectations without gaining consensus. This results in a constant death-march culture. Everything is late, over budget, and of poor quality. Many meetings are not discussions, but very unproductive and nasty fights between hard nosed insurance people. The strongest personality always wins rather than the best idea.

Reward strong ideas rather than strong personalities. Make decisions by consensus and have schedules reflect reality. Adopt the idea of constant improvement rather than building up endless technical debt.

There are newer employer reviews for Esurance

Worked for Esurance? Contribute to the Community!