There are newer employer reviews for Esurance

Don't do it, you'll regret it......

Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent  in  Mesa, AZ
Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Esurance full-time

Pros

You don't take work home with you. When you're finished, you're finished. In this economy, any job is better than no job and I'm grateful I had this one too. Those are my pros.

Cons

Where to begin? Mesa Arizona is a "first contact" site which means that you become the dumping ground for calls that the other sites don't want, but you're expected to sell the same number of policies as the other locations. Get ready to sell in Michigan and Florida all day every day. You'll understand why this is bad later down the road. Management will claim that it's the luck of the draw but it becomes clear very quickly that all agents from all the other sites sell two or three times the amount that any agent in Mesa sells. Even a good agent with lots of experience! The turnover now is insane because of how low the pay is and how messed up the comp plan is. In your interview ask them to show you the comp plan and you'll get the best dog and pony show you could imagine. I'm telling you this so you don't make my mistake and waste time here. Everything is micromanaged so not only do you not get much of a bonus or any bonus each month but you get hassled when you go into wrap for too long and you can get written up even if you sell 120 policies for the month! Just look on the job search sites and Esurance in Mesa is ALWAYS hiring. That should tell you everything you need to know right there. I left voluntarily and you can take this review as a bitter ex-employee or someone who is actually trying to help you make an informed decision. Getting the real story is something you won't get much of once you start so it's best to hear it now.

You should be ashamed of misleading people into a job like this by advertising it as a $70,000/yr job. You know it's not anywhere close to that and I don't even have a family and that bothers me a lot. I saw people on the floor with kids come to Esurance and leave jobs making 80K/yr to make 40K/yr at Esurance and it made me so sad. Deliberate and deceptive advertising. You guys are indifferent to the concerns of the sales floor and none of you have ever had prior management experience before your recent promotions. You are hired to track stats and availability but have no idea how to care for your people. As long as you guys collect your checks it's all good right? Stop hiring people with families and telling them that they'll make 60 or 70 per year when you know the real figure is 35 or 40 thousand.

188 Other Employee Reviews for Esurance (View Most Recent)

Decent company, low pay, and below-average management.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Esurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fosters innovation, cutting edge of insurance if there is such a thing, less red tape than most companies, headed generally in the right direction

Cons

Low salary (decent bonuses depending on year), tries to be techie but without the techie company perks (free coffee is it), hardly any opportunities for advancement (even for top performers), some managers should not be managing

Make sure everyone is in the proper place within the salary band, not just that they're within the band. Reward top performers. Identify bad managers (longevity and tenure does not equal success at managing).

Growing pains

Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Esurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

They have worked on the work life balance in the Sales department. You a guaranteed a commission even without hitting qualifiers. There is potential for growth for the right individual. Majority of people are nice and will help wherever possible. Great first insurance job. No cold calling.

Cons

There is not as much overtime as there was in the past. The compensation plan works well only if you can cross sell all products of insurance. Majority of the partner products cannot be sold by the basic sales agent, it must be passed over to another agent. Management is only concerned about conversion and sales per day, not about quality unless there is a problem. Management does little to address the individual concern, instead they quote research as if that is the only fact to take into account. No uniform policy. Some management will say one thing, others will do the opposite. I have had arguments with management about processes and after a month of bantering the manager admitted they were wrong. No kickback on renewal business. Your book resets at the beginning of every month.

Recognize the potential your employees have and allow them to grow. Do not sidestep questions with complicated answers. Instead of focus groups of five to ten agents, allow for more agents so that a broader scope can be discussed. The new comp plan of $7 a policy is not enough to keep people motivated.

There are newer employer reviews for Esurance

Worked for Esurance? Contribute to the Community!