There are newer employer reviews for Etsy

engaging, exhilarating, enigmatic, effervescent, ebullient, enticing, employment.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Etsy

Pros

Etsy is highly passionate, highly intelligent, highly capable company with a huge vision. It's a constantly evolving atmosphere where creativity and outspokenness are genuinely appreciated and rewarded. That, and we throw one hell of a party.

Cons

Because things are constantly in flux, the environment can be disjointed at times--communication breaks down and projects, people, and spaces are left without an owner.

Advice to Management

As Etsy grows, it's important that we identify and solve operational problems while we push new code to the site. Clear internal structures and communications can only serve to increase clarity for our members, creating a better experience for the Etsy community as a whole.

reviews filtered by
  1. Wonderful place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Etsy full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This was an excellent place to work. I enjoyed my time immensely, and have nothing but good things to say. If you want to work with people who actually CARE about the work they do, then this is the place for you.

Cons

Sometimes it's hard to get to know people, as it is a rapidly growing company.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

Disorganized, High School Atmosphere

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Etsy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work alongside some very creative and interesting people who live very rich lives. It's a great place for the young and single. Engineering culture is very strong, almost to the point of letting a technological style dictate a product experience.

Cons

"Keep it real" is the company's motto, but there is constant smokescreen and double-talk on everything. Despite the fact that "Loose Lips Sink Ships" as they say at every all hands meeting, gossip and rumor is usually how you receive most of your information. This isn't due to the clique-like culture, which is pervasive (Regina George in the C-Suite is forming her own team of Mean Girls to worship her since she left the financial world), but more because the top management isn't aligned at all on what needs to get done, most of all the CEO, who is more of a cultural tour guide than a leader.

The product experience has languished from years with no leader, and there is so much experience debt to dig out of that growth is constrained. Speaking of growth, don't consider being promoted. They're so worried about upsetting anyone, they rarely promote from within the ranks with the exception of the few anointed who don't threaten the egos of the top dogs. They are more likely to hire from outside than to nurture their own talent, because management experience is poor throughout.

Lastly, Etsy just simply wastes a lot of money and is badly run. Many departments are bloated, the office is rarely humming before 10:30, and you might see people around the office just doing whatever they want under no apparent direction. Most people can't measure their impact or explain why they are doing something.

Advice to Management

Get on the same page and have accountability. Stop playing businessman and start people business people.

There are newer employer reviews for Etsy