Examiner newspapers

www.examiner.com
  www.examiner.com
There are newer employer reviews for Examiner newspapers

For the writer wanting flexibility

Current Employee - Freelance Writer At Examiner.com in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Freelance Writer At Examiner.com in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Examiner newspapers part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work outside of an office environment, literally from anywhere in the world during part of the year.
Flexibility.
Diverse group of colleagues.
Opportunity to expand writing skills and topic areas.
Fantastic when needing to network to expand insider contacts and knowledge.

Cons

Schedule can be up and down as depending on your topic some months are slower than others.
Monthly payment varies depending on amount of published articles.

Line managers should be appointed to groups of writers rather than having writers go to the general troubleshooting page and have to wait a longer length of time as seems very impersonal.

52 Other Employee Reviews for Examiner newspapers (View Most Recent)

La Arts Events

Current Employee - Freelance Journalist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Freelance Journalist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Examiner newspapers part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If your a beginner this is one way to learn and get some exposure. Now I been writing on and off with examiner for more than a year and eventually publishing company and school are actually contacted me and make an offer. What I've learn in this trade you have to make sure you review the offer and put everything on writing before you start working in that way you don't waste your time.

Cons

I been writing for almost 10 or more articles and never get paid. So I stop writing article for more than a year. Got a little exposure and had some good and bad comments on my articles. Then they contacted me again and offer me a good deal and I take it.

What I've learn in this trade is..It takes a lot of your time, effort and exposure to really get into this business. Most of the writers, journalist, bloggers are actually writing for free or under paid. That's why I never really depend on this business as my bread and butter. But I'm still here in this kind of business trying very hard to get notice and waiting for the best offer. You know why? I have a passion for it. I love what I'm doing even I have to pay for my on pocket . At one point, I can barely walk because of my injury and my surgery but I still have to get there if I can just to get the scoop of that event. I will try to learn more , gain more exposure and go back to school to educate myself that someday it will paid off ..

Good opportunity for new writers but not much support.

Current Employee - Writer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Writer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Examiner newspapers as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are few entry barriers. You must submit a writing sample but if it's decent, you will get work. An additional advantage is you can write on a wide variety of topics. It is a legit writing credit, and can be seen by potential employers/publishers. Great web visibility, flexible, highly independent work.

Cons

Examiner uses a horrible pub tool. It does not auto-save, the limitations for photos sizes are very inconvenient, and the site often malfunctions or does not load properly, losing work or messing up formatting. Examiner gives poor compensation. There is lack of staff support. I have asked for resolution to numerous issues with no follow-through.

Improve the publishing tool and support your writers when they need access to events/shows/stories. Change the jpg file requirements for photos to accept more sizes.

There are newer employer reviews for Examiner newspapers