There are newer employer reviews for Exar

Exar is nice, but not a place to grow.

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Fremont, CA
Current Employee - Design Engineer in Fremont, CA

Pros

Exar has a nice soccer field and tennis court on site. Located conveniently at the center of the east bay.

Cons

Marketing is not doing well in defining the product directions and specifications on existing products. With the lack of organization, marketing people seem out of place.

Advice to Management

Exar has been transformed ever since the new CEO is in place, whether or not if this is lead to a positive change, the current CEO has done a tremendous achievement in terms of the stock price.

Other Employee Reviews for Exar

1. A jumbled company

Former Employee - Director Sales in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Director Sales in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Great people, many industry veterans with a wealth of knowledge and experience

Cons

Management was chasing high-end data com and storage customers but not resourced to support them

Advice to Management

New management as of Q1 is refocusing company on power ICs...good idea

2. Not a bad place to work

Former Employee - Middle Manager in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Middle Manager in Fremont, CA

Pros

Financially secure company with a long history ( 40 years). A lot of employees have been with the company 10+ or 20+ years. A good work environment, friendly people, expectations are reasonable and coworkers are helpful. Compensation and benefits are both reasonable-- not outstanding, but fair. By Silicon Valley standards, a stable company where you know what you're going to get.

Cons

Exar struck me as overly resistant to change, which isn't a big surprise given how long it has been around. I also felt that Exar lacked an identity in a way that no other place I've worked has. What makes Exar Exar? I guess the fact that it's been around for 40 years-- every other place I've worked has something more tangible: advantages in customer service, engineering or pricing, etc. But for Exar I could never put my finger on it-- except to say that it's been around 40 years.

Advice to Management

Figure out what Exar does well and stick with it.