There are newer employer reviews for Exelis

Ok

I have been working at Exelis

Pros

a very flexible work schedule

Cons

Poor upper management; lack of upward mobility; no pay increases/promotions.

reviews filtered by

After 32 years of engineering, I can say this is the worst company I have dealt with

Current Employee - Staff Engineer
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer

I have been working at Exelis full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The customer (i.e., the Government) has not found out how badly this company is run.

Cons

Management. Management. Management. Nearly every level from mid-level on up does not understand their core business technologies. And that would be ok, except they don't trust their technical staff. So they make decisions in a vacuum and have driven business and products into the ground. I've been here nearly 10 years and have yet to see one project succeed. 90% of the time it is due to decisions made by the program managers without the input of their technical staff.
    One additional concern is their ability to lie. The culture is supposed to be about 'doing the right thing' when it is really 'do whatever gets us paid.' Absolutely no ethics here. Oh... and again, where does this come from? Management.

Advice to Management

Quit your job and go back to managing at McDonald's where you are competent.

Overall, Exelis is sinking, and it might be intentional

Current Contractor - Quality Control in Kuwait City (Kuwait)
    Current Contractor - Quality Control in Kuwait City (Kuwait)

I have been working at Exelis as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great starting contract. The chance to travel and pay is better than stateside jobs.

Cons

Too many cuts in pay and support for employees working outside the US. Daily food and living allowance have been dropped altogether. Many Americans have lost their position or employment in favor of cheaper foreign labor, further hurting our economy. Cost of living is 4 times higher here than stateside, and continues to rise, yet no adjustment to payscales to compensate. Sign on bonus, annual bonus has been eleminated except for upper managment. Transportation allowance is denied to employees who utilize housing allowence, which is 300-400 dollars less per month than what the company pays per employee in company housing. The customer has too much direct influence in the day to day operations, this creates a conflict of interest and hinders a smooth operation and final production. There are indications of intentional sabotage of said operations and final products on the part of management and customer. Most employees are kept in the dark until the last possible moment about the contract status and how it affects them.

Advice to Management

Improve overall support for your employees. Communicate information as it becomes available. Apply a basic customer heirarchy theorum to the operation, i.e. Customer<-worker<-lead<-supervisor<~manager. In other words, your direct supports are not happy but they deal directly with the end customer, who is not happy. I think area of focus is clear at this point.

There are newer employer reviews for Exelis