There are newer employer reviews for Exelis

Experienced, excellent and amazing engineers. Questionable middle and upper management.

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Clifton, NJ
Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Clifton, NJ

I have been working at Exelis full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A good place to learn, if you want to, from experienced engineers who have been working for 30+ years at ITT Exelis.

Cons

A lot of management change, downsizing, future path not clear. Young and inexperienced folks in middle management are allowed to make uninformed decisions. This is could and have lead to major costumer(s) dissatisfactions and loss of future work. Naive perception of risk.

Advice to Management

Let experienced engineer make design decision. Please understand that MBAs are not qualified to make engineering decisions. Value quality and focus costumer's needs.

Other Employee Reviews for Exelis

1. Great environment and good people

Current Employee - Capture Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Capture Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Exelis full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Agile and focused environment, good management

Cons

Need to take more risks in growing the business

Advice to Management

Need more focus on long term strategy

Excellent work-life balance but the company has some big issues to overcome

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Exelis full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance is awesome. My coworkers are extremely intelligent, talented, and dedicated to the products. Office location is good, near trails and open spaces. Environment is quiet and relaxed. Product suite is excellent and has been around for a long time. Vacation and sick time are decent. I'm treated like a professional, which I appreciate. Work load is appropriate, although feels a little light sometimes. Many folks have been here a very long time so there is a lot of deep knowledge of the products still in residence.

Cons

Need attention to new product development in order to lead the competition. Right now we're lagging behind it and only trying to keep pace. We have the engineering staff to lead the industry but lack vision and direction to get us there. Also need someone in charge of Marketing who actually understands both our technical customer base and our products - Marketing needs to be more technical so that we can regain ground on our competition. I think this would help with lagging sales as well. Doesn't seem to be an overall, strong, forward-thinking vision for the products or the company - something we desperately need. We need to be thinking about other markets besides Defense, folks! Salary is on the low side compared to other similar companies in the area, benefits OK to mediocre. No raises. Recent reorg and benefits changes have taken a toll on morale. Not one of those places you'd consider "fun". It's difficult to get to know folks here as the place is full of very introverted people working in offices with their doors closed. Yes, most people are still in offices with a very few of us in cubicles. They're nice people, but so introverted that it's difficult to strike up a conversation even at lunch...and with most folks keeping their doors closed I feel like I'm in solitary confinement most of the time. Hard to get people to say hello or look me in the eye they're that introverted. Very isolating for someone like me who is more on the extroverted side - I might as well be working at home.

Advice to Management

We need vision, direction, and better marketing for our potential customer base. And figure out a way to get past the isolationist culture - it's not a very fun work environment.