There are newer employer reviews for Exelis

Management doesn't care about employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fort Wayne, IN
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Exelis full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The only Pro that I can think of is the regular employees at this company. From hourly up to, maybe, the 1st 2 layers of management. Beyond that there is GREED. No raises for employees yet Melcher got 9 million

Cons

Greed, Micromanagment, turning a blind eye, trying to skirt the system, lying, Putting road blocks up.retaliation, waste. Dave Melcher got 9 million dollars( 200% pay increase) and then went on to tell the employees that even though the company was doing great that we would not be getting our measily 3% merit increase.

The customers and stockholders are important..........The employees are also important. Without employees there is NO Exelis. When I say employees I mean the people that actually do the work. The production, The IT, the Engineers. They keep this company running for you so you can have customers and pay the stockholders. But the families you laid off mean nothing to you. My advice is for you to look at your employees.

361 Other Employee Reviews for Exelis (View Most Recent)

Experienced, excellent and amazing engineers. Questionable middle and upper management.

Current Employee - Senior Engineer  in  Clifton, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Clifton, NJ

I have been working at Exelis full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A good place to learn, if you want to, from experienced engineers who have been working for 30+ years at ITT Exelis.

Cons

A lot of management change, downsizing, future path not clear. Young and inexperienced folks in middle management are allowed to make uninformed decisions. This is could and have lead to major costumer(s) dissatisfactions and loss of future work. Naive perception of risk.

Let experienced engineer make design decision. Please understand that MBAs are not qualified to make engineering decisions. Value quality and focus costumer's needs.

Many changes. Uncertain future.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Clifton, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clifton, NJ

I have been working at Exelis full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

An old, but large, well equipped facility with secure off-street parking.

Cons

As an independent company, ITT Exelis is struggling with an shrinking defense market and a huge pension debt which it inherited from ITT Corp. There no substantial new contracts, and legacy programs are winding down. The company has frozen pay raises for the last 3 years and are now eliminating the pension plan. They have also reduced health insurance benefits. It is doubtful to many employees that Exelis will survive much longer. I am witnessing the slow death of a once great company.

If you want the company to survive and prosper, you have to get serious about eliminating waste. I agree with the plan to eliminate the pension debt. However, you MUST eliminate the waste created from so many no-show jobs in middle management and engineering. Manufacturing people are stretched to the limit while supervision is redundant. Get rid of the jobs that originated from nepotism and personal favors and retain the people that are getting the job done. It's your only chance.

There are newer employer reviews for Exelis

Worked for Exelis? Contribute to the Community!