There are newer employer reviews for Exelis

Good place to gain experience in a manufacturing setting.

Former Intern - Assembly Co-op Engineer in Roanoke, VA
Former Intern - Assembly Co-op Engineer in Roanoke, VA

I worked at Exelis as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great people to work with. -Paid for apartment as a co-op. -Get experience in many different areas of manufacturing. -Opportunities to improve and to become involved in major projects. -Management and coworkers are all very helpful and seem to care about doing their jobs well.

Cons

-Job security is not great due to downsizing. -Not always enough work depending on the co-op position. -I would have liked to see a more demanding projects given to me in order to better prepare myself for other engineering positions.

Other Employee Reviews for Exelis

1. You can learn a lot at this company if you are willing to ask questions.

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Exelis full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Things are starting to improve. The company needs to focus on doing a few things well instead of offering so many products. They have many people with critical experience. These types of employees should be treated well since they are difficult to replace. I like the technology.

Cons

The facility is old. A new layout would be much more efficient.

Advice to Management

Please share your long range Business Development plans so employees can understand their future.

The least fulfilling, most pointless job I have ever had

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Clifton, NJ
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Clifton, NJ

I worked at Exelis full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Excellent health, dental benefits - Decent salary

Cons

- Nearly complete lack of technical content in work. - Astounding amounts of time, effort and resources dedicated to the language used in documentation of hypothetical equipment. - Pressure to uphold the constant facade that everyone is busy and that overtime is necessary, while little to no actual work of any value took place. - A shocking willingness to deviate from initial contracts with the understanding that the customer would 'just deal with it'. - The only morsel of technical responsibility for my project resided with a lunatic of a senior engineer, who at one point engaged in a screaming match during a >40 person customer facing update and had to be escorted out of the room. Summary: A facade of challenging, time consuming and important work permeates this operation.

Advice to Management

None.