There are newer employer reviews for Exelis

Recent Unpleasant Changes

I worked at Exelis

Pros

Grea, dedicated cco-workers. Intetesting, varied work.when i first jpined the company, i had an upper management position. And i eas trested accordingly. I could also count pn other employees. They were hard workers. Management was informal

Cons

The company has started running scared. Most of Systems Div work is government and middle east based. Availble contracts are diminishing. Management is reacting poorly, making abrupt and short-sigjted decisions. People are circling the wagons and the once great work environment is suffering.

Dont become chicken little. Keep the faith in employees. You hired people because you needed them. Slash and burn when this expertise is most needed is shortsighted.

15 Other Employee Reviews for Exelis (View Most Recent)

An opportunity to work on challenging problems with great coworkers.

I have been working at Exelis full-time

Pros

There is always an opportunity to work on engaging and challenging projects.

Cons

The flat structure can make it difficult to advance.

We need to accelerate the development of enterprise services to encourage greater adoption of our products.

Was a nice/fun place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I worked at Exelis

Pros

Of the people who are left in Engineering some are a pleasure to work with. They do have a nice benefits package but it was changing when I left. The place does have many engineers who have worked there for over 10 years, which is strange in the Tech world. The place is located right along a Boulder bike path, which is a huge perk for those working in Boulder. No dress code, shorts and sandals are common in the summer. The building provides showers for those who bike in.

Cons

The engineering department was a fun place to work but over the years changed into a toxic environment. They micro-manage their employees using Agile/scrum development methodology. When I was hired the employees were treated like Professionals but some where along the way that changed and now everyone is treated like some low level employee. They no longer value the employees opinion on how things should be done. One year around review time many of the employees received a "Needs Improvement" which in years past received "Satisfactory ". How does someone become so horrible in one year? With so many getting "Needs Improvement" type reviews you have to wonder if there was a directive in management to hand out a certain number of low reviews.

Go back to the work environment that RSI used to have. Value your employees opinions!! Get rid of the sarbanes oxley act 2002 excuses!! Many companies as big as ITT/RSI don't seem to have the same policies. Management should listen and act upon the employee satisfaction surveys. Not sure what else to say except maybe get rid of all or most of the middle management.

There are newer employer reviews for Exelis