Stable employment but terribly complicated place to work

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Exelon

Pros

Salary
Benefits
Stability
Growth (some)
Mobility (positions available in multi-states)

Cons

Succession Planning only for the select few
Equality
Politics

I've found its difficult to navigate through the highly political culture of this company. Exelon values diversity and we are continually reminded of that by seeing who are put in leadership positions and the barrage of "network" groups this company has. Very poor at sizing up talent (especially on the ComEd side) and very top heavy. I've never seen so many VPs, Directors, and Key Managers (group level employee). Some of the upper management don't even have degrees. Some of the regularly promoted don't possess the experience or have been rotated through the various operations. Yet they are put in protected positions where they will not fail. Some don't cut it but end up with titles of "Manager-Developmental" to keep their pay and levels. The performance management process, individual development planning, and succession planning is a joke. I and many others feel that this company has abused the employees. Abused because we consistently meet all our goals and solidly contribute to the "performance indicators" we are held to so highly, yet I am rewarded with a 2.5% raise, far below the 4% increase the Union membership is given in their contract. (Yes, I realize many employers have cut back raises but not here this company makes money). What a slap in the face for someone with almost 30 yrs experience, an advanced degree, who works hard and often "takes one for the team", and most importantly produces results. Why should I stay motivated, dedicated and give any extra? I guess to keep my raise above 2%.

Other Reviews for Exelon

Great Place to work

Current Employee - Procurement Specialist  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Procurement Specialist in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Exelon

Pros

Work Environment, benefits, training & development, flexibility

Cons

politics; takes long to get promotions

Offer specific and direct feedback regarding how one can move forward to the next level position.

Good opportunities, long term stability, excellent co-workers

Current Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Exelon

Pros

Active in the community, cares about employees, fair compensation, good benifits.

Cons

24 x 7 time commitment, real time response to emergencies. You can't just walk away at the end of the day.

There are newer employer reviews for Exelon.

Worked for Exelon? Contribute to the Community!